• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M56

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M37

Get into the picture posting process (PPP) and put 10 pics of your M37 / M56 on this thread.

That will peak some interest and we can check out your ride.

IF data is available for your M..... this is your best information thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/80494-2012-vin-info-thread.html

Read it all...........

Here is an example of the info required..........

SNIPPET

"""""""""Thanks in advance Carnac. Vehicle is a 1952 M37, I know it probably won't show up due to it's age.

a. Serial number: 8001XXXX
b. Registration number: 241XXXX
c. NSN: 2320835XXXX
d. Bought from a GSA auction
e. No bumper numbers visable """"""""""

Welcome to SS

citizensoldier

No M56 is the long wheelbase chassis used for R2, V41,XM142, and the long wheel base pick up was called the M283.. :) Had to dig the book out to get it straight myself. Maintenance truck is the V41 later to become the M201.

WBrun334

I'm not familiar with a designation of M201, but my truck is a M56B1 and is a Contact Maintenance Truck with the Generator/Welder mounted in a aluminum box body. My understanding is that this is the basic M37 with an extended frame, as also used in the ambulance version. I "think" this frame was used for the telephone maintenance truck. The vehicle has the same manuals for the running gear and special manuals for the maintenance box and components.

As stated by other posters, photographs will aid in fast identification. Of course this digression has nothing to do with op's request for past history or bumper markings, except without positive ID you can get no accurate info for your question.

foxtrk2

the pic found of a m56 contact truck is mine at this years sussex show it is a 63 m56a1 long wheel base and body [alum] built by i believe daveo body co has hobart 7.5 kw welder gen in rear took me three years to restore her foxtrk2

WBrun334

Good looking truck foxtrk2. Mine is pretty good shape but my life has a few priorities before the truck work can begin.

What is the difference between the M56A1 and M56B1?

Foxtrk2 did you have someone refurbish the electrical control panel? If so, what type of company does that kind of work? Those old electrical components are intimidating and I am not going to run 7.5 kw into it until I am confident that great arcs won't leap into the sky - or into me.

Wonder what happened to the op? Regardless, finally there is a thread that directly concerns my vehicle.

messge80

Thanks for the info. My m56 came with a flat bed when I baught It I will get some pictures. It looks to me like it was a cab and chassis no wench

Last edited:

Bill W

The M-56 series were factory Cab chassis models that different bodies were put on by outside contractors after they were delivered. ( ie R-2 crash trucks, contact maint, MB-2 fire truck,etc etc )

( M-35 cab chassis only were known as M-45's )

Mike_L

Have you posted this on the G741.org site? There are a few M56s listed in the registry.

History will be hard to determine unless you can uncover the bumper numbers (if they are still under the paint) or it came with some paperwork. Sometimes you can trace the previous owners back to the original markings or history if they can remember or have pictures.

Good luck. I found a clue to the military history of my truck after I found a supply tag jammed up behind the driver's seat cushion pad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks