• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M62 at work

dmetalmiki

friend won an 133 zill at tender. so I used my wrecker to bring it "home" for him. no difference WITH or Without it..holmes gear is rather usefull as well so Im not detatching it. the people at the disposal unit were WELL impreesed with my M62. I am going to try post a "sound" vid so it can be heard. (multifuel AND screaming turbo (rare? on the wreckers?) does anyone know where I can get a vise for front bumbper? the..T...t I bought it from REMOVED the vise before i collected it. (i fitted a vise on the rear deck tho (folds down) Pee ess! there 1000s things militare in the disposal lot.EVERYTHING ee maginable..truly fascinating place to go round. collectors dream.post more pics later.

Attachments

dmetalmiki

as an aside..the rear of that thing IS JAM PACKED with NEW radio suvey/survalance/radio gear. Tools tool kits. intercoms 10,000 miles of wiring(on reels) theodalites?? level devices?? "funny"? dome shaped radar? kits(4) torches(flashlights!)..a "THING!!!" that goes up thro the roof and takes a???? benches fans ..oohhh so much to mensh. AN INTEWRSTING thing for us M.truck folks. an engine oil filter (down side up!) that wails. I kid u not! it a centrifugal oil filter on those truks. oh..and inflate de-flate tires on the move. airconditioning, engine OIL HEATER!..we are well impressed with the engineering of the whole thing. (V8 petrol 6.2 ltr. tho...(humph!)

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Can you imagine that in Britan you can get a truck like that and not be able to own a gun where here we can own guns but our GL folks would have the feds come over to our home 20 to collect the radar and radios. Nice looking truck, is it a Soviet version or a British one? If it is Soviet does it have the rear mounted winch that can be routed to the front via pulleys in the frame?

dmetalmiki

the zill 131 does not usually come with winh fitted but this one did. he is lucky a nice addition. and the trucks were in eastern block and then iruaq where they were "confiscated" and "evaluated" by the millitary? boffins. then sold off in disposal depots. (there were three of them.) I nearly bid for one BUT with 5 trucks allready ee nuffs eenuff!!(isnt it??)..oh..and apart from my U.S. stuff I just happen to have....(as you do...) a ....err..(one of these!) ((FULL of kit!))see next post dont no how to add pic here..

kcimb

A zil! I'm impressed. I want one just to complete the collection. Are they like deuces..easy to work on, reliable, and thrive on abuse?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just curious, what do the FV432s and the Chieftains go for at auction over there?

Thanks for sharing, I like to see them at work!

@armyman: I have also seen these rear or mid-mounted whinches on the Swiss Saurer 2 DM mil-trucks. They route the whinch-cables either to the front or the back. Interesting concept.

dmetalmiki

there is SO MUCH stuff at withams..its a real delight for military enthusiasts..chieftens..7 to 10 k I think..saladins about 3 to 7 k..u can go look at the sight youself...as to the zill performance..and rugged quality OHH YEES! absalutly fantastic..tough rugged functional..(as described in my prewviouse post..so many(too many) "features to poke a stick at!!"..all exellentusefull/neccassery in the field. DONT (go)look at withams site..and DONT look on U TUBE zil 131.com offroad etc (include tatra and ural too in military offraod searches utube etc)UNLESS (a) U have a knapkin) (b) a LARGE box of tissues (and c) the "other half out of the room!!?? http://www.witham-sv.com and milweb.net as they say.."enjoy"

m3a1_ht

Great pics. I have found the few vehicle recovery tasks that I have been on to be a great combination of stress and reward.

Certainly less to the original purpose, here are a few pics from the weekend when I *finally* got a limb that came down cleared. It was 2' in diameter at the base and 50-60' long so as limbs go...

I took some photos of the last little bit being put on the trailer. The big sections are at the bottom of the heap. I just missed this one during the original load.

To those looking, I am going to sell this. I am in the process of cataloging the extras (towbar, boom supports, axle chains, multi-hook lifting attachments...) as well as the spares (60 spark plugs[!], 3 carbs [!!]...). I even have all of the paint for it. Just no time. I'll get it on the classifieds sometime.

Dan

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: M62 at work

dmetalmiki said:
........ an engine oil filter (down side up!) that wails. I kid u not! it a centrifugal oil filter on those truks. oh..and inflate de-flate tires on the move. airconditioning, engine OIL HEATER!..we are well impressed with the engineering of the whole thing. (V8 petrol 6.2 ltr. tho...(humph!)
Interesting features, what year is the truck and how is the oil heated?