• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M656/XM757 search

JDToumanian

Hey Bjorn,

Looking for anything in particular? Do you have the parts manual? I've always had good luck Googling NSN numbers or using GL's NSN Report page, it's great. If you've never used it, it'll show you who originally made the parts, what they paid for them, when the gov. last ordered, etc. I'm sure Ford used some off-the-shelf stuff or 'farmed out' a lot of the work, or ordered spares from other companies over the years...

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/haystack?nsn=

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/haystack?nsn=2930011320978

After you click on that first link, add the NSN number to the URL, no spaces or dashes, after the '=' sign and hit enter... The second link is an example (HEMTT radiator) of what the URL should look like. If it's an older FSN number instead of NSN, you'll have to put the zeros in... Here's a fake example: FSN 5320-419-3770 would become NSN 5320-00-419-3770.

Jon

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Jon, good to hear from you.

I'm looking for whole or cannibalized trucks, tires etc.
Less than 500 of these vehicles were made and many parts were designed exclusively for them and haven't been manufactured since the 1980's. I'm tire challenged, the GoodYear version, for example, never even got a FSN or NSN # assigned!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did buy 4 tires last year made by BF Goodrich, but the rubber was so hard that the bead was damaged when I tried to mount them...only got one to hold air.2015 0923 1627 hrs, DSCN7729.jpg

BF Goodrich FSN 2610 886 1262 (part #11602256)

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter

JDToumanian

Since original tires are that rare, if it were my truck, I'd try to find the closest equivalent tire and either have custom wheels made, or modify the original wheels. Is the lug pattern unique? Will no other tires or wheels fit? I'd hate to alter the original wheels, but I'd definitely want to be able to drive the truck without worrying about wearing out or damaging such incredibly rare tires. The tires look similar to gama goat tires... Maybe it would be possible to weld the original wheel centers into gama goat rims.

Jon

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military musuem of Southern New England has a cargo truck and a van. They might be willing to sell one of them.

http://www.vgbimages.com/AFV-Photos/Miltary-Museum-of-Southern-New/i-3Jkfjjs/A

http://www.vgbimages.com/AFV-Photos/Miltary-Museum-of-Southern-New/i-Vvbngrw/A
Interesting, must visit one day. Good restoration job on both. The vinyl cab top is another almost impossible to find item and they should find a substitute for the m656 or else the interior will deteriorate under snow and weather.
I made my own cab top (see pic):
2016 0207 1611 hrs, m37 move, xm757 right front view, DSCN7986.jpg

Thanks for posting.

Landbarger

I have no information about this subject, but let me know if you ever need help cussing at a problem that won't go away. I'll drive up the mountain to stand around and be frustrated on your behalf. 8)

CGarbee

Somebody really needs to find Bjorn some tires...
That truck would look great cruising around the farm in VA (at the Graves Mountain Rally), but I know that it isn't going far from home without a good set of shoes... :)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aren't the tires supposed to be 16-20 NDCC? Why not just drop down to new production 14-20's so you can reliably drive it on trips?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aren't the tires supposed to be 16-20 NDCC? Why not just drop down to new production 14-20's so you can reliably drive it on trips?
The tires are marked "16-20", but are actually 16/70-20 (low aspect ratio, tubeless bias ply types).
Mitas makes a replacement tire that would fit, 405/70-20, but I'll hold out for the real thing since the tires are part of the original design and contribute to the overall performance of the truck.

kalsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure how close to original you are trying to stay with, but the m656 I recently purchased has some beefy XML's and they look bad ass, they absolutely suit and fill out the truck.

IMG_3959.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks