• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 in progress

AaronW

Earlier today I posted my Deuce. The Five-Quarter started to feel left out. I've had this rig for just over 4 years. It has very low miles and drives like a dream. I'm guessing by the color that it's first civvy duty was as a fire rig. Two owners ago it was a brush rig for a construction company in Kent, WA. I picked it up from a guy who told me stories of its limited speed capabilities. I dont think he knew it needed all 6 spark plugs to go over 25 mph.(only two were complete) Upon replacing the waterproof plugs, 60mph is not a problem (unless you ask the T-case). Original paint is on the menu.

Attachments

AaronW

I have now given the old girl a semi-proper OD paint job. It's time for some unit markings and such.

Yesterday I made the decision to honor my Grandfather's service to us by using bumper numbers from one of his units. Being former Navy myself, I'm cluless on Army unit breakdown. I decided that for this truck I would use the unit he was in when he earned his first silver star.Please see link. First Lieutenant Rudolph F.L. Giglio

What I would need is:

Left bumper:
Right bumper:
Hood(Reg#)#(thinking of using his service # here) 063399

Anything else I should add?

Also....He was killed in action under suspicous(my Grandmothers words) circumstances. The Huey he was piloting (crashed) in S.E. Asia while his unit was forward deployed to Korea before the start of official hostilities. I know there must be a way to find info on this incident. Google is not alot of help. He was a LT. COL. when he died at age 36. A Green Beret, he was also a master combat parachutist, fixed wing pilot, combat glider pilot, and fixed wing pilot. His Class A's hanging in my Mom's closet are really something to behold. One of his hobbies was photography. We have some awesome 8mm films of him in the cockpit of a C-119 and then amazing film of him jumping with hundreds of parachutes in the air around him. I really need to transfer that film to DVD!

**EDIT: Just did some digging into some family history. I'm not quite sure why a lot of this info is not "well known" or "talked about" within my family. Could have a lot to do with the fact that my Grandmother never married again and this is still painful to her.

My Grandfather Rudolph(Gil) enlisted in the Army and attended Basic and OCS at Ft. Benning. He then was sent to Sapporo, Japan as part of the occupation force. After only 9 months he was reassigned to the 11th Aiborne division at Ft. Campbell, KY. From here he deployed to Korea, where he was awarded the Silver Star and Purple Heart. Gil was then assigned to the Special Forces, Green Berets in Augsburg, Germany for two years. His last year in Germany was spent in Bad Tolz where he studied the Russian Language. Next assignment was to the U.S. Army Staff College in Leavenworth, KS. He was a Captain at this point. The family then moved to Ft. Rucker, AL where Gil went to fixed wing school and became a Major. Right arter this, he spent time at Camp Walters, TX in helo pilot school.
Gil was then Granted leave to attend the U. of Neb. to complete his degree in Military Science. He was there for about 6 months. Now it was on to the Armed Forces Staff College in Norfolk, VA. where he became a Lt. Col. Again, the family was onle there for about 6 months.
Gil then recieved orders for Vietnam with the First Cav. Air Assult Division. He was ordered to Texas for training. However, because of the illness of another commander, before going to Texas, he was given the position of Commander of the First Air Assult Battalion training command in Korea for helocopter troop landing missions.
He died as a result of a helocopter accident on Feb. 9, 1965.

Sure does seem like a lot of moving around. Moving and making new friends on post is about all my mom remembers of her childhood.

To any of you Army Vets out there of this era....Does this seem like a typical career path for an officer of the time? I would love to touch base with anyone who might have crossed paths my my Grandfather!

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

AaronW

New paint.

Sorry for the long read on the above post.

Thought I better post up some current pics. I'll get a few more today of the finished product.

...my neighbor staring down truck or doing a jig....can't tell. I'm in the bed.

Attachments

Last edited:

ABN173

Very nice Aaron!

where exactly are posting the markings? if possible post a pic of the areas. It makes a difference which method we choose for marking (expanded vs short)

-Dale

Last edited:

ABN173

nevermind, after looking at your pics it will be a bit of both I think. I will make a couple of sets of stencils and you can pick.

ABN173

What I would need is:

Left bumper:
Right bumper:
Hood(Reg#)#(thinking of using his service # here) 063399

Anything else I should add?
OK Aaron, after some review I think it should read as such:

Front passenger side:
3D INF DIV
3D 65th INF

Front Driver's side:
M-6 (since he assumed role of Commander for M Company)

Rear Driver's side:
3/65 INF (due to limited room on bumperettes)

Rear passenger side:
M-6

Without seeing an old photo of actual vehicle markings from his unit from that time frame that is pretty close.

-Dale

ABN173

If you are looking as to what markings it should have or their placement, you might try this link, m715a
Placement is almost identical to what I had imagined, what I was unsure about was the many variations of actual unit markings. For example
you could say 3rd INF DIV, 3D INF DIV, 3 ID, or 3D ID, they all mean the same thing. There is no clear definition of "right" when it comes to bumper numbers/markings, trust me I have researched it a lot. It all depends on who was in charge and what they decided they wanted for their unit. For further example 1LT Giglio was in 3rd BN 65th INF (unsure if it was a regiment or Brigade from bio) but you could write it 3/65th INF, 3D BN 65th INF, or 3-65th INF......

-Dale

Last edited: