• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 on tour to Pocking Germany

Wolf.Dose

Hey two.fiveM35 and kvflyer,
seems you have been stationed in Germany.
Also, warum nur Curry Wurst, Weisswurst und Bitburger. Wie ist es mit Hausmacher? Und Bitburger ist nicht das beste Bier!
Falls das Deutsch nicht mehr reicht: Why only Curry Wurst or Weiswurst and Bitburger biere. How about homemade sausage /or Karlsberg biere and Schnitzel with boild potaoes....
Nürnberger Batwurst is also not too bad...
By the way, depending were the MV meeting takes place, all these things are available!
Wolf

kvflyer

Yes, I was in Neu Ulm for all of 1970. I enjoyed the country very much and went to Bremerhaven when the new M715 (1969 models) arrived by boat. We drove them back to Neu Ulm. I had a 1968 M715 assigned to me and drove it all over Germany. I have not been back to Deutschland since then but hope to return soon. My cousin's son is in the US Air Force at Ramstein.

Wolf.Dose

Ramstein is some 70 km away from were I live. If you are outside at the right time you can see the dayly Hercules fly over us.
So nice to here from a M715 owner since 30 years that you drove one down from Bremerhaven to Neu Ulm. I drove my M715 I do not kown were all over Germany, some 91000+ miles by now.
Do you have pics from that time. I'm interested in, for the litherature over here is very poor on M715 family vehicles.
Wolf

1995USAFRetE6

Oh please stop! I'm drooling on my keyboard! Schnitzel... boiled potatoes... nurnberger batwurst... hmmm... fresh nurnberger brats from grill with some Chriftkindles Markt Gluhwein to fight off the chills... wonderful memories! Really liked your photos... [thumbzup]

Wolf.Dose

kvflyer,
thanks for the photos.:grin:
Do you know that photos of the M715 in regular service in Germany are very reare. Most of the M715 series trucks were stored in depots.
Also your truck in Blanding looks nice, even the front bumper is bend a little.
Interesting: The truck in Germany was with black identification (except bumper marks), no stars on the doors and on the hood. The one in Utha with full painting in white. And the star on the hood is correctly painted, pointing forward.

1995USAFRete6, Gluehwein is in the drink for wintertime when it is cold. In Nuernberg at the Christkindlesmarkt the favorite drink with Nuernberger Bratwurst, may be with some potaoe salad?

Anyway, nice to hear that you have good memories of your time in Germany.
Wolf

kvflyer

kvflyer,
thanks for the photos.:grin:
Do you know that photos of the M715 in regular service in Germany are very reare. Most of the M715 series trucks were stored in depots.
Also your truck in Blanding looks nice, even the front bumper is bend a little.
Interesting: The truck in Germany was with black identification (except bumper marks), no stars on the doors and on the hood. The one in Utha with full painting in white. And the star on the hood is correctly painted, pointing forward.

1995USAFRete6, Gluehwein is in the drink for wintertime when it is cold. In Nuernberg at the Christkindlesmarkt the favorite drink with Nuernberger Bratwurst, may be with some potaoe salad?

Anyway, nice to hear that you have good memories of your time in Germany.
Wolf
Wolf,

All correct! I spent many hours in SVC-175 and all of our truck had the "black-out" paint scheme. Of course, in the Utah truck, it was used in the US and had the conventional markings. When I finally get my truck here in the US up to speed, I will mark it exactly as the truck was marked in Deutschland with the same registration number and same "SVC-175" number. I already have a bridge plate on it with the correct "04" weight.

I have more pictures but can't find them right now. What I have posted are scans from slides. I have pictures that I took and will post them if I find them. I have a picture of the speedometer with the pointer pointing straight down. Yes, we were actually going that fast. My truck, a 1968, did not have a governor. The 1969 trucks that we drove from the boats in Bremerhaven all had governors... to my surprise!

Wolf.Dose

kvflyer,
I do know that some trucks were without governer. And I do know that with the engine at 4000 rpm the truck runs something close to 75 mph. However, I think it is not made for that.
And if you rode the truck that fast by that time, it was somewhat illegal, except you have been considered to be ocupation forces (we had no peace contract by that time, only the cease fire from May, 8th, 1945), so nothing could happen to you.
If you find some more photos of the 1968 time im very interested in. Pics of the M715 in the literature I know only one of the 3rd Inf. Div. (Marne Division called by that time, stationed in the Würzburg area).
For I have a M725 to restore (waiting since more than 4 years) I like to incorporate into that truck everything I can learn about the late 60's / early 70's, beside I know quite a lot of that time of the US Army here in Germany. Any further information, especially of a time wittness, is apreciated.
Buy the way, if I use my M715 solo, the bridge plate shows 04, if with trailer (M101A1, 1968)8), I change to C 06.
Wolf
M715 since 1982

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

Some pics from the MV meeting last weekend. Schmitdenhoehe next to Koblenz, the 11th meeting there.

Attachments

Wolf.Dose

two.fiveM35

Wolf,always great to see your pictures and the variety of trucks. My mother is from Heyweiler so I am familiar withe the Koblenz area. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Eric Schmied

Barrman

Thanks for the pictures. What kind of bow corners do you have on your M101? They seem more rounded that most I have seen. Almost matching the M715 bow angles.

Wolf.Dose

The bow corners are the original ones of the M101, the set up is just raised by some 20 cm to fit to the M715 tarpoline deck. The M715 bow corners radius is larger. Also my M715 bow corners are the M101 radius. 1981 I had no other choise, no original bow corners in the far reach.
The reason was to acomody my doughters on a short weekend a place to sleep for I added two folding beds to the trailer and a chemical camping toilet incliuding a batterie lighted roof light. It is not needed any more, for my girls do not join meetings any more, they study at the Univerity and therefore their are time limited. The one I use is an originale one of a M715, I have some original stock bought 25+ years ago.
Wolf

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks