• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 Spark plug tool?

Milbikes

Is there a special tool required to remove the spark plugs from an M715 engine? I have to help a guy get one running to move it, and he says he doesn't have a socket that will fit it. My WC56 looks a bit easier to get the plugs out of! Thanks for any tips. Hal

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Barrman

11/16" open end will normally fit the wire end. If not, find a super cheap chinese open end and grind until it fits.

The plug itself is a regular 13/16". Just the plugs pointing to each other make it so a socket driver normally won't fit on top. A crow foot as suggested above will work. So will taking a chinese box end and bending it to clear. Think old time distributor wrench. With the other end sticking up, a long screw driver works great to give twisting leverage.

It seems there are at least 3 different length replacement plugs out there currently all with the same number. The shortest of these can be removed with a regular spark plug socket and driver. The other two sizes need to have creativity to get out one plug for every grouping of two. Then the other 3 can be pulled like normal.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of my gas engine wire nuts are 3/4 inch.
I happened onto the wrench (Ebay) pictured that fits the spark plug wire nuts and the hard to get to distributor spark wire nuts. It is the only one I have ever seen. It is stamped "KAL USA".
If anyone knows a source, it might help others.
Regards Marti

Attachments

Barrman

You are correct. I just walked over to a M715 and pulled the number one plug wire off with an open end 3/4". One flat at a time, but it comes off. Sorry about that. I have the same tool pictured above and haven't had to think about the size in a few years.

Maverick1701

All of my gas engine wire nuts are 3/4 inch.
I happened onto the wrench (Ebay) pictured that fits the spark plug wire nuts and the hard to get to distributor spark wire nuts. It is the only one I have ever seen. It is stamped "KAL USA".
If anyone knows a source, it might help others.
Regards Marti
I have a similar model for the plug wires. works very well in the tight spaces of my m38a1.