• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 Tailgate Mod

sail78385

Ive always been a big fan of the M715, never had the chance to own one though. Hopefully that will change one day. I was down in Florida and found these two Veterans on craigslist and I had to bring them home. I dropped them off at a friends place and he brewed this up for me. Im proud of how it turned out. Hope you guys like it.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To each his own I guess but good m715 tailgates are kind of rare.

The table does look good though.

sail78385

To each his own I guess but good m715 tailgates are kind of rare.

The table does look good though.
I understand the rarity, it was surprising to find them on Craigslist. I have found people in Texas with 20+ M715s at their disposal so I dont feel too bad about it. I also didnt feel that they were in good enough condition to put on someones restored M715. Always hate seeing a great looking m715 and then the tailgate is beat to ****. I still have the red one if someone wants to rescue it. Im in Charleston SC

KsM715

Nice idea but that green one is in pristine condition compared to what's left out there. Shame it had to be recycled

Kaiser67M715

I agree, as straight as they were, those were pretty good examples. I have one I will replace the top portion due to rust, I feel with the number I see without tailgate means one more part that can be rescued

Table does look nice though

sail78385

I agree, as straight as they were, those were pretty good examples. I have one I will replace the top portion due to rust, I feel with the number I see without tailgate means one more part that can be rescued

Table does look nice though

Thanks guys, the photos are decieving as these were not straight. The green one was actually bowed really bad and is full of waves and creases, the red one is the worst one. I have another gate tucked away thats exceptional for when I own a m715 one day. So for someone who doesnt own an m715 to have 3 tailgates hmmm, maybe you guys missing tailgates should step up your game. I really dont believe these gates are as rare as people make them out to be -They just take some digging. Try finding a postal hardtop for a CJ8 -people said it couldnt be done and I found 2 of them and brought one home. However this tailgate table will get more use and appreciation than any m715 on the road right now, and its a great conversation starter when people come over. Anyways thanks for the compliments.

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

May 31st, 2015.

Sorry to see even fair tailgates get wasted, given the number of M715's in need of those particular parts. Perhaps most people don't know, but with a little care, even fairly bowed tailgates can be straightened using a jack and a press frame. If you can straighten a car or truck frame, tailgates of this type, with only one sheet of metal forming the body of the gate, are very easy to correct. If I can straighten a caboose or boxcar side sheet, this tailgate would have just taken a small amount of care to restore. Nice idea, though, use a civilian Gladiator gate for the next one, please......:-x

sail78385

You guys are a trip lol.
Yall would hate me as a person I guess, Ive chopped up rarer parts for that fact that they get more appreciation in another life. If someone is interested in my Red M715 Gate let me know, its just taking up room until I get ideas for my next project.

Last edited by a moderator:

bcowanwheels

why would you post this on a m/v site. you know the reaction you,d get. no we don't hate you but some do disapprove of doing it. and 695.00 for that bent gate on ebay is too much imo.

sail78385

why would you post this on a m/v site. you know the reaction you,d get. no we don't hate you but some do disapprove of doing it. and 695.00 for that bent gate on ebay is too much imo.

LOL I dont care what yall think, I was just sharing something I have appreciation for. If yall dont like eh whatever.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow, I'm really surprised by the reaction. considering these were on craigslist, no idea where they could have ended up, at least he saved them from an off-roader or scrap. Especially if it was beyond restore-able. Put a piece of glass on top and it will look great.

KsM715

Nothing is beyond restorable. And the reason that other guy wants $695 is because he knows that every time one gets destroyed the rest left still out there go up in value.

( posting links to eBay auctions are against the rules by the way)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At the end of the day, they are your tailgates and you can do with them whatever you wish.

I don't speak for all the other posters but I think it's safe to say nobody hates you for doing this. Some just hate to see rare MV parts get turned into furniture and that's just their opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks