• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M718A1 Project

nattieleather

Nice work so far! Wow, did you have to do any work to the body or was it just that nice? That is one of the nicest bodies I've seen. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

hambone

Nice work so far! Wow, did you have to do any work to the body or was it just that nice? That is one of the nicest bodies I've seen. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
It was just that nice, only minimal surface rust, had a hard time keeping my emotions under control when I found this one. Story was it was stored in a hanger at an AFB and used as a runabout jeep up into the 90's, then stored in a shop until I bought it several years ago. Took me a couple months just to scrape off all the thick CARC paint that my sander or stripper wanted no part of. Took years just to collect all the hard to find ambulance parts it was missing, but it was worth the wait. My last project was a M151/Titan jeep(aftermarket body) it was a lot of work but turned out ok.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Top fit much better out of the box than expected, heard all the horror stories about the shrunken canvas, it will need a little stretching but overall, not too bad.
View attachment 818787View attachment 818788

LQQkin' good!

And it looks like the canine in the last pic is enjoying the shop-life, too.

Thanks for sharing your progress.

John

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the comment John, yup, mans best friend, here's my golden enjoying the shop life, I hardly ever work alone.:)
View attachment 818918
Ah, yes. We love our furry faithful assistants.

Our canine herd is down to just two. We have our 10 year old "granddog" Einstein, a Yorkie. And Hound Dog, a 14+ year old (now 101 in dog-years) Redbone Coon Hound who is the "Daddy's dog" who follows me EVERYWHERE. I practically cannot go to another room without him getting up and following. He has lost his hearing and now depends on hand signals for commands. He barks at things he only thinks he hears (and at Einstein's cues), and will still guard the perimeter to the death. but one of his favorite assignments is just hanging nearby when I'm working on the MV's, working on home projects, or even in the veggie garden.

IMG_8477.JPG
The falling autumn leaves were no bother to him.

IMG_5322.JPG
He also guards our granddaughter when she visits.

Jsmith1529

Got the hood and grill painted and most of my mounts. did I mention how much I love removing CARC paint.
View attachment 818608
So, I've been wondering if the CARC paint stripping process is necessary. Unless you're going for a Concours Restoration and you plan to recreate the factory original pattern I can't imagine that removing the CARC paint would be a good use of time. If it's chemical resistant, so well adhered that only special strippers will take it off, and will accept additional primer/base coats on top of the CARC, then why bother stripping it? Couldn't you just scuff it to give it some tooth and paint right over? Maybe I'm missing something or not fully appreciating your plan. Any insight would be useful since I'm thinking about bedlining my M998.

hambone

So, I've been wondering if the CARC paint stripping process is necessary. Unless you're going for a Concours Restoration and you plan to recreate the factory original pattern I can't imagine that removing the CARC paint would be a good use of time. If it's chemical resistant, so well adhered that only special strippers will take it off, and will accept additional primer/base coats on top of the CARC, then why bother stripping it? Couldn't you just scuff it to give it some tooth and paint right over? Maybe I'm missing something or not fully appreciating your plan. Any insight would be useful since I'm thinking about bedlining my M998.
The CARC paint on my jeep was cracking and peeling in a lot of places causing surface rust under the paint, some places it was a 1/16" thick, would have taken much sanding to cut through plus you have to deal with the toxic dust. I wanted a descent paint job, so I decided to remove all the carc, I'm sure the military would have just painted over it, It was a lot of work but I would do it the same way again, I may be too particular. :lol:

hambone

Wow, what a great transformation! Love the oddball MVs, everyone's seen a -151, but the -718 is an interesting beast.
Thanks, Maddawg, they are unique and hard to find the elusive parts, took several years to find all the parts to put it back right. This is what it looked like when I purchased it, was told after service it was used as a runabout jeep on an AFB, where they removed all the goodies and added hardtop and front section of ROPS and that nasty CARC paint. Plus I got 2 M38 wheels.:)
IMG_0124.JPG

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very unique model of Jeep! You certainly did it great justice with your restoration quality of work, very nice work and this is one to certainly be proud of!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks