• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M756 Pipeline Bed install /redneck engineering

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will next weekend be the final assembly of the bed? Looks like the strips are done, I know you have the bolts. Nothing much left but final fitting of the harder than nails wood. I wished I had a semi trailer load of yellow locust.

pa.rich

Hmmmmm, I have alot of large locusts on my land. I could cut them down if you want the logs for a fee.Also there is a sawmill near my place to cut them. They should season for a couple of months though. Because you know they will shrink. What do you have to trade?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transportation is the prohibiting issue on the locust. Can't justify the expense in picking them up.

rmgill

Recovry4x4 said:
Transportation is the prohibiting issue on the locust. Can't justify the expense in picking them up.
Well, I make trips to and from PA every so often. I'll be coming down with my Deuce this fall in all likelyhood.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are making excellent progress Joel, the cut-outs along the edge for the stake pockets look very good!
Don't see any of the 4-1/8 inch holes yet, my bed had three of them.

Again, I appologize for the rather poor quality of the wood, the sawmill didn't want to deal with it any longer and the locust apparently is not what it was years ago. Anyway, it looks great and some defects can be fixed.

Have you decided on the finish? When weathered, the wood will turn greyish white. It's probably not possible to keep the yellow when exposed to the outdoors, the so called UV-blockers I have tried don't last long.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
the wood is done :D

If possible could one of my fellow pipeline bed owners check the size of the screws that hold this reflector on? (I need to go buy a tap to clean up the threads)

Attachments