• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M756A2 is finally home.

yeager1

If anyone is interested, I have a real nice A frame bed (on an oil field truck now) that is very similar to Kenny's that I might be willing to part with. It's non military, but I think it's actually quite a bit nicer. It has a Ramsey PTO drive winch, an all steel diamond plate deck, 1/8" wall tool boxes, roller tail etc., REALLY heavy duty, it would work well on a 2.5 or 5 ton. Maybe a trade toward a deuce or 5 ton? Tell me if your interested.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked them in a primitive sort of way and at this point they don't appear to have Detriots in them. My test wasn't totally conclusive!

1ton

What are the polls on the sides for. from what i can see they swing out and make an A-frame but that's just a guess. Did those headache racks only come from the pipeline trucks or did they come with the lwb tractors too?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1ton, you have surmised correctly! The poles are to rig an a-frame. It can be rigged at the rear or adapters placed in the bed pockets and be rigged from either side. The headache rack is unique to the pipeline truck. You've probably seen miltruck's home built M48 tractor which has a pipeline truck headache rack and rear winch. The M48 (long wheelbase tractor) was an older truck and never produced with the multifuel engine. The M48 had a toolbox and sparre tire on the back porch whereas the M275 did not. Interestingly, in all my travels I don't know anybody who has an M48 or anyody who even has pics of an M48 except pics from TMs and the such.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best reference for the operation of the M756 pipeline truck that I have found is the December 1988 TM 9-2320-361-10. It has a full 12 pages on this interesting variant.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll have to see if I've got the Dec 88 version. Bjorn, did your battery box arrive yet? Also, since your changing the bed on your truck, will it now be an M756A2C? C of course is for crane. Another cool thing I figured out this morning. I have the pics of the back of 3 pipeline trucks. Mine, Chris' dads and one John Hutterer's buddy has at the museum. All 3 have a hole in the center of the bumperettes. I understand that the material is a spring type steel which would be darned hard to drill. I was thinking maybe it's a Navy thing but the pipeline at John Hutterer's place is Army all the way. Hmm, wonder what thats for?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The battery box arrived while I was out of town. It's beautiful! Always wanted one of those, thanks Kenny!
My deuce came from the USMC and the bumperettes originally had a small hole in the center. One was bent ot of shape and when the replacement came (from Memphis) it did not have a hole in it, so, now there is one of each.
The bumperettes are used for lashing a chain in one A-frame set-ups, but the hole does not come into play.
Those neat looking rings along the sides are also used for lashing the A-frame, not for holding the gin poles, which was my first thought.
Actually, the model name will be M756A2C*2 (squared). :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks