• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M8 Armored Car in Iraq

Crazyguyla

If it was goimg to a military museum(owned by Uncle Sugar), then it's not that hard to get out the country. I was trying to get it out for personal use. I'm sure the way $$$$ talks, I could get the required paperwork from an Iraqi Military Official.. It's the part getting it out the country (big gray area) and I don't have the support of my coomand to get the paperwork pushed through. Unless Daddy Warbucks makes an appearance, The M8 get to spend more time in the desert. I do have plans to take pictures of me sitting in it making Vroom vroom vroom noises LOL

On a side note, I think the WWII markings are visible under the paint. On the front of the hull, theres a painted circle with an inverted triangle in the circle. I've seen that marking somewhere before, but can't think what kind of MV it was on.

Imapapallama

dude, like one other guy said:talk to a civvy contractor to help,ship it out commercialy and have someone pick it up or wait til you get back to pick it up....or put you unit numbers on it and claim it as a experamental armored car

Crazyguyla

dude, like one other guy said:talk to a civvy contractor to help,ship it out commercialy and have someone pick it up or wait til you get back to pick it up....or put you unit numbers on it and claim it as a experamental armored car
The problem is, unless i forge the paper work, I can't legally get it out the country. The paperwork has to go through the military channels for approval and I don't have the support of my command. So, I am so FUBAR'd. Unless someone with more money than me can afford to "aquire" it and ship it back. it will sit. I don't like it any more than you do..

combatmech

Good luck bro, I'm not far from you. My unit is trying to get what we call the "space van" shipped back to the states when we leave. It's a civi/haji van, we've had it since 04 when we were down at BIAP.....

davidkroberts

i worked at the dept of state in baghdad for 5 years. That is who you are going to have to go through in conjuction with ATF to get it shipped out of the country. I hate to say it but you would have a better shot of growing wings and flying to the moon than getting anything out of that group of liberal beaurocrats.

Being it is in an "active" warzone anything coming out will be treated as a war trophy and at this point in the game it just isnt going to happen. Im sorry to see it though that is a fine piece of history and most likely it will end up being savlaged for parts or some idiot local will use it to pull a cart full of other local idiots.

In 04-05 i would have said you probably had a good shot but now the Fun Police have shut down anything worth a crap in the country.......

Try Afganistan they have neater stuff anyway......

combatmech

Speaking of the Morale Supression Team....I had an Army E8 or E9 question me about a unit patch....and then told me it was a zoo around here. Being a Navy guy, we get a lot of that from Army folks.
We are having new patches made.... "operation new dawn.....it's not a war anymore, It's a ZOO!!!!:jumpin:

Crazyguyla

Speaking of the Morale Supression Team....I had an Army E8 or E9 question me about a unit patch....and then told me it was a zoo around here. Being a Navy guy, we get a lot of that from Army folks.
We are having new patches made.... "operation new dawn.....it's not a war anymore, It's a ZOO!!!!:jumpin:
I get the same idiocy from Army folks too. Guess i'm to smart for the Army? The IQ of the army has dropped rapidly since '05/'06 when the barrel got kicked over and the recruiters started digging for new recruits. The stories I could tell working at a Reception Station prepping the newbies for Basic Training(another joke). 4 more years. :beer:

EZFEED

Hey bud, this actually might be possible if you can find paperwork on it. Something to prove it was purchased by the Iraqi military and has been held by Iraqs military for 5+ years. Then U.S. State Department reauthorization can be circumvented and it is now despite it's original manufacture it is a 'foreign vehicle'.

Fill a Form-6 (military 6A) out and send it off and see how it goes. Don't list it as a 'U.S. M-8 armored car' because technically it's not anymore, it is an 'Iraqi *whatever their designation is* armored car'.

Last edited:

alphadeltaromeo

I get the same idiocy from Army folks too. Guess i'm to smart for the Army? The IQ of the army has dropped rapidly since '05/'06 when the barrel got kicked over and the recruiters started digging for new recruits. The stories I could tell working at a Reception Station prepping the newbies for Basic Training(another joke). 4 more years. :beer:
Need to add another "o" lol...it's "too" rofl

Mongo

I am curious to find out how this plays out in the end. When I was in Somalia there was a Stuart sitting in the corner of the Mogadishu port. I had contemplated trying to repatriate but I was not old enough or wise enough at the time to follow through...

Crazyguyla

Wife's unit is still deployed to Taji....
Maybe they need a trophy?

Just saying if you want help, my wife's commander has offered to watch my infant daughter.. we are close.
Get it to Germany, then have it sent back stateside. So many ways to work it if it was in Germany.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks