• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M809/M939 5 ton air filter elements

Rattlehead

I am not familiar with the M809 series air filter element. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a hole in the closed end of the filter body, such as for a mounting bolt? From the parts catalogs and other sources, best I can tell is that the M809 and M939 series elements are supposed to be the same.

I ordered an air filter element for my M932A2, and received a LuberFiner LAF562, which has a NewStar sticker on the box that says it is a direct replacement for the military part #11604545, which matches the M939 parts catalog. However, as you can see by the pics, it is very different. Not sure if this is a "will fit" effort by NewStar? Definitely not a good replacement, as once installed, a full 1/3 of potential exposed filtering media is covered, in addition to having a big hole in the end, which, left unplugged, would allow unfiltered air to the intake.

Anyone have a suggestion for a source of 5 ton air filter elements that will work in this application? An element with no hole in the closed end, and no metal banding covering a large portion of the filter media? Sometimes when you order from a parts dealer their inventory is only as good as the cross-compatibility information that the filter manufacturers feed them.

Attachments

D-Man

I have thus far been unable to locate a suitable filter replacement for my 5 ton. I purchased something similar to what you have and plugged the hole with a bolt/washer/nut and it seems to work very well with no noticeable effect on performance. Look at the CFM rating of the filter - I don't have the manual handy but I believe it should be around 550. From the looks of your old filter, the new one even with the metal band is better than leaving in there what you had. Have you run the truck with the new filter installed yet? Notice any change in performance?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure the hole is plugged and use the washer with the rubber on it. Is there anumber on the old filter. Maybe I can x it over to a civi number. Can u give me dimensions?

Rattlehead

I am using the new filter with a bolt/seal in the hole, as I cannot find a better option yet. With the new filter installed, the air restriction gauges gives a partial restriction reading (the 900 series restriction gauge will stop in multiple places).

The only number on the old filter was the military part number.

papercu

filter

According to the TM (M809) the NSN is 2940-00-134-4657 with part numbers P10-8874, P52-9263, 11604545 and 11648606.

And according to the -20 for the M809 Series your military one is washable see TM 9-2320-260-20 page 3-26 ( on-site, CD or Paper copy) for the By-the-Book way to clean it. Wayne

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: filter

I checked mine tonight. All it had was the NSN. You should be able to take the PN to NAPA and they will cross it for you. My Heavy Truck NAPA loves to see me coming :)

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air Filters for Cummins Powered 5 Tons

Gents,

The air filter you're looking for is a military-only application; NAPA can't cross and they can't get. Go to Winslow as he has the lowest price and he's got USGI stuff.

CZAR

Sarge

M809 air filter

Well, after exhaustive research I discovered that no civvy equivalent exists for the M809 series air filter.
I could have saved several hours by searching and reading (and trusting!) the topic on Steel Soldiers.
This is what I have discovered; the research has already been done by the above members, and they have saved me a lot of time and frustration by making the mistakes that I would have also made.
I need two M809 series air filters. I need to find someone who sells the original military filter.
What I do not want:
I do not want a Newstar replacement.
I do not want a Luber-Finer LAF562.
I do not want to get in a discussion about "suitable substitutes" that are unsuitable.
I do not want anybody to educate me on FSN's and Cage codes.
I do not want my air restriction device to register any restriction.
What I do want:
Two original military filters to fit the M809 with the Cummins.
So anyway, I keep seeing the name "John Winslow" as the guy to go to.
Who is he? Which company? Has he got a website? How much?
Thanks everybody!
-Sarge

citizensoldier

RE: M809 air filter

Sounds like a good job for OD iron to me. If he could get a supplier to make a exact duplicate he should be able to sell them like hot cakes. I could use two and Dave P has a whole heard to feed! Mike you out there?!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks