• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M809 Series- Rear and Intermediate axles and what to expect

Ajax MD

Hey all,

I want to inspect the rear and intermediate brakes for leaks and check the pad wear. I haven't done it since I've owned the truck. (I did service the steering axle)

I'm reading the -20 TM. I've ordered the little cork gaskets (but I'm also amenable to using a modern sealant).
Page 9-18 is a bit unclear. It states that you must use a hammer and drift to remove the bearing cups (races). If I'm only re-packing the bearings, I do NOT need to remove the races, right?

In terms of consumables, I need the hub flange gaskets, cork plugs, inner grease seal, and outer grease seal. Anything else? On page 9-17, item #13 is listed as a "wiper." Is this a consumable or can I reuse it? I have a fresh brake cylinder on hand in case I find a weeper.

The truck stops very well, and smoothly. I see no signs of gear oil or brake fluid leaking out on any of the intermediate or rear wheels. I have added a tiny bit of brake fluid to top off the master cylinder once in the last 2-3 years. When I serviced the steering axle I was amazed at how clean everything was and the brake shoes were new. The wheel bearings had grease but it was thin and runny so I re-packed them. I suspect that the rear and intermediates will be in similar condition. This is mainly a preventative exercise.

I wish I had a duals jack. That would make life easier.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey all,

I want to inspect the rear and intermediate brakes for leaks and check the pad wear. I haven't done it since I've owned the truck. (I did service the steering axle)

I'm reading the -20 TM. I've ordered the little cork gaskets (but I'm also amenable to using a modern sealant).
Page 9-18 is a bit unclear. It states that you must use a hammer and drift to remove the bearing cups (races). If I'm only re-packing the bearings, I do NOT need to remove the races, right?

In terms of consumables, I need the hub flange gaskets, cork plugs, inner grease seal, and outer grease seal. Anything else? On page 9-17, item #13 is listed as a "wiper." Is this a consumable or can I reuse it? I have a fresh brake cylinder on hand in case I find a weeper.

The truck stops very well, and smoothly. I see no signs of gear oil or brake fluid leaking out on any of the intermediate or rear wheels. I have added a tiny bit of brake fluid to top off the master cylinder once in the last 2-3 years. When I serviced the steering axle I was amazed at how clean everything was and the brake shoes were new. The wheel bearings had grease but it was thin and runny so I re-packed them. I suspect that the rear and intermediates will be in similar condition. This is mainly a preventative exercise.

There is definitely no need to remove the bearing race unless you are replacing the bearings. Reading your list of consumables, I don't see any glaring issues. Seems like that should be everything you need.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A shot of silicone seal works better than those cork plugs. Just make sure there is no oil in the groove beforehand.

And DON'T use any moly grease, it can react with any gear oil and become mud. Good old long fiber grease is plenty good in those axles.

DG

Last edited:

Big Tom

Hey all,

Don’t take the races out unless you r useing new bearings, pack bearings with wheel bearing grease , I like to use gasket sealer instead of cork ( the right stuff from Napa )
Ps get here together heading down to Denton nc rally in April if your up for it!!!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Don’t take the races out unless you r useing new bearings, pack bearings with wheel bearing grease , I like to use gasket sealer instead of cork ( the right stuff from Napa )
Ps get here together heading down to Denton nc rally in April if your up for it!!!
Denton in April of 2022 will have a machine gun shoot as well...

Denton2022.png

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all,

Rich, come borrow (or buy) my duals jack.

Big Tom

Denton in April of 2022 will have a machine gun shoot as well...

View attachment 854692

Been there last four years great time !!!!

Ajax MD

Rich, come borrow (or buy) my duals jack.
I forgot you had that thing. The only thing stopping my from buying it is that I have nowhere to store it. I'd pay a fee to borrow it though. Once I have gathered all the bits to do this job, I'll be in touch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks