• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M809 transmission weight and Qs?

LanceRobson

Does anyone know what an M809 Dana 6453 transmission weighs? I may drop mine to find out why there are some ferrous metal flakes in the oil and why it is having problems downshifting.

I can get the top cover/shifter housing tilted to one side but despite the -20 manual showing that the top cover can be removed with the tranny installed it has been a "no go" so far. The shifter forks keep it from coming out before the top of the housing hits the cab support over the rear of the tranny.

I can see a good bit of the gears from above with the housing tilted to the side. The teeth I can see are all fine except a little wear on the front edge of the first/reverse speed gear. None of it explains the brass/bronze looking flakes (tiny) or the ferrous flakes (about 3mm in size and maybe 5-6 of them) that were in the drained oil.

Does anyone know if there is ferrous metal in the synchros?

I'm going to walk back out to the shop and see if putting the tranny into first gear changes the location of the fork enough to lift the housing off.

Thanks

Lance

Ord22

lance,
there is brass bearings pressed in the ends of the trans housings. the shafts ride in them. more than likely, one or more bearing went bad. you will see better when you remove the trans.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks