• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M812 bridge truck vs. other M809 series 5tons

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20230110_130608583.jpg

Recently I won this M812 from GSA auctions which had been turned into a water tender for a rural fire district and several sources have told me that the truck is somewhat different than a standard lwb M809. Of course the most obvious difference is that the truck is on 14.00 tires and is over legal width. Some local folks who know these trucks have told me that they are considerably heavier duty with a higher GVWR, that they have different axles which are wider than usual and also have limited slip. So what I'm hoping is that you folks here can confirm all this and anything else that I haven't mentioned here?

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I perused the -34P TM. I found that the axle assemblies both front and rear carry different part numbers than the other M809-series models (the exception is a unique front axle assembly part number on M819 tractor/wrecker). What exactly the differences are, I am not certain. Differentials carry the same assembly part numbers. Lockers were often equipped to USMC trucks.
It is self-evident that the front hubs have spacers and longer wheel studs, but the rears do also.

In addition to that, all six rear torque rods are slightly longer than the standard to compensate for the larger diameter tires found on these trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks