• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M812 front end swap

jaxsof

as long as its a cummins powered m809 series, as far as I know, they are all alike. Please, somebody correct me if I have given bad information.

pilot

We have an M812 and the rear axles and dogbones are different but the front appears to be a standard 5 ton with wheel spacers. The local camp is scrapping 4 900 series bridge trucks but they use full air brakes instead of air/hyd.

m816

The 800 series front axels hve remained unchanged since the fiveton trucks wer gassers. In seeing all the front end failures,It seems to me that the cause is the excess weight of the Cummins engines. Especially, since they were never beefed up since the early days. We just changed the front axel in the M816 from an 813 take out. It bolted right in. I suspect that the hubs and drums would be different if you swap an axel from a bridge truck. Just use your old drums and hubs. I'd pay attention to inspecting the bearings and repack them when you have it apart just to be on the safe side.

jaxsof

I see where my mistake occurred. When I think of a "front end", it is usually sheet metal, not the front axle.
Its all good!:doghead: