• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 battery cranking amps and wiring

timgc78

Gentlemen what batteries do you guys use to start your 250 Cummins ?
Does anyone have a good picture of the military wiring configuration.? What was the group size and cca of the 4 military batteries?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Military used four 6TLs. Too costly

Two group 31s do fine. Even in winter. Add a tender if it sits alot. Or solargizers

Group 31s run about 120 from parts stores. Cheaper at rural king stores. I run two group 31 agms from batteries plus. $260 ea but have a 4yr warranty over everyone else's 1yr warranty

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct me if I am wrong 6x4. Looks like you have some extra small 12 and 24 volt taps. On the stock set up there would only be the one 12 volt tap for the glow plug / cold starting aide.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct me if I am wrong 6x4. Looks like you have some extra small 12 and 24 volt taps. On the stock set up there would only be the one 12 volt tap for the glow plug / cold starting aide.
Correct: I've got my VIC-1 intercom and my courtesy lights added to the 24V side and I've got the glow plugs and jake brake circuit added to the 12V side.

Ajax MD

Gentlemen what batteries do you guys use to start your 250 Cummins ?
Does anyone have a good picture of the military wiring configuration.? What was the group size and cca of the 4 military batteries?
I'm doing the same thing that Wes suggested- Two Group 31 truck batteries. If you keep them topped off, there are no issues. I want to get some NAPA 6TL's just for fun but they are pricey. I've heard you can get them for less if you can coordinate a group buy with more people.

6267SX

I have been using 6TL as spec'd by the military for years in both the M 813 and M109. But the wet units seem to have a short life span (some less than 18 months). I replaced the two in the M109 with AGM 6TL this summer and they seem to be holding up better that the wet battery but are EXPENSIVE!! With the cold weather Two of the four batteries have just gone down on the M 813 and I want to try replacing the four with two civilian AGM batteries.
I have yet to find why four 6TL are specified for the M 809 series trucks. I see that group 31 civilian are recommended. Are their other recommendations ? And can anyone explain why the four 6TLare spec'd on the 809 series?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been using 6TL as spec'd by the military for years in both the M 813 and M109. But the wet units seem to have a short life span (some less than 18 months). I replaced the two in the M109 with AGM 6TL this summer and they seem to be holding up better that the wet battery but are EXPENSIVE!! With the cold weather Two of the four batteries have just gone down on the M 813 and I want to try replacing the four with two civilian AGM batteries.
I have yet to find why four 6TL are specified for the M 809 series trucks. I see that group 31 civilian are recommended. Are their other recommendations ? And can anyone explain why the four 6TLare spec'd on the 809 series?
6TLs rather than group 31s on a military truck? Because 6TLs are standard military tactical vehicle batteries. Every wheeled and tracked tactical vehicle is set up to use the standardized battery. For example, imagine if the Army, with tens of thousands of tactical vehicles and hundreds of different configurations all had different sized batteries. A key aspect of US military sustainment is standardization whenever possible, why manufacture, warehouse, transport, train and maintain a hundred different kinds of automotive batteries when you can use one type. The advantage of simplicity far outweighs any disadvantages of using 6TL batteries as the standard. However, the quality of current AGM 6TLs leaves something to be desired. You're not the only one to report deficiencies with current manufacture AGM 6TLs.

6267SX

6TLs rather than group 31s on a military truck? Because 6TLs are standard military tactical vehicle batteries. Every wheeled and tracked tactical vehicle is set up to use the standardized battery. For example, imagine if the Army, with tens of thousands of tactical vehicles and hundreds of different configurations all had different sized batteries. A key aspect of US military sustainment is standardization whenever possible, why manufacture, warehouse, transport, train and maintain a hundred different kinds of automotive batteries when you can use one type. The advantage of simplicity far outweighs any disadvantages of using 6TL batteries as the standard. However, the quality of current AGM 6TLs leaves something to be desired. You're not the only one to report deficiencies with current manufacture AGM 6TLs.

6267SX

Yep, I am fairly well versed with the need for uniformity in the issuing of military equipment. DLA was formed in the WWII era to help resolve some of the supply problems encountered by the US Army during WW I and the agency was further upgraded in 1958 to include some uniformity for all of the services. However, your response still did not address my question of why the 809 series and 900 series have four 12 V batteries Vs the two 12V used in many other military vehicles to get to the desired 24V. Unless I have missed it, the -10 and -20 TM do not address this. Unless preparing a HMV for a MVPA event it does not make sense to keep replacing expensive OEM batteries when less expensive commercial batteries will do the job. Having said all of this I have replaced the two 6TL in my M109 with two DLA approved Hawker HASP-FT batteries which seem to be holding up better than the OEM batteries. And, finally, I was courious to see if any members have found a battery that gives better service than the 31 group battery costing less than $200.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks