• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 engine oil in brake air tanks

timgc78

My air compressor is building good pressure, brakes and other air components seem to work fine. When I drain the air tanks I'm seeing a good bit of engine oil.
Are their rebuild kits available for the air pump or do you just replace the air compressor?

timgc78

Thank you!!! Am I correct that engine oil is getting in through the rings on the piston or is it the compressor head that allows engine oil into the air?

Reactions: HDN

timgc78

Piston rings.
So I finally got my air compressor off. Had to pull the accessory drive pulley in order to remove the air compressor. On my truck the accessory drive and the air compressor are a unit. What is the deal with that? Is it an early serial # engine? Does anyone know the correct gasket for the accessory drive to engine?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So I finally got my air compressor off. Had to pull the accessory drive pulley in order to remove the air compressor. On my truck the accessory drive and the air compressor are a unit. What is the deal with that? Is it an early serial # engine? Does anyone know the correct gasket for the accessory drive to engine?
They aren't. Hopefully you timed it.

You pull the compressor off of the adapter flange on the motor. There are 4 - 5/8" head bolts.

timgc78

They aren't. Hopefully you timed it.

You pull the compressor off of the adapter flange on the motor. There are 4 - 5/8" head bolts.
Yes I pulled the plug and rolled the engine to 1-6 to line up the marks on the cam and accessory drive gear....before i pulled it....puts the compressor on tdc. My air compressor doesn't have the middle section where some pumps have a splined coupler that turns the air compressor
The crank for the air compressor is a part of the accessory drive shaft or its attached somehow. I've not disassembled the drive.
Honed the bore, got a new piston, rings, rod and major head kit.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes I pulled the plug and rolled the engine to 1-6 to line up the marks on the cam and accessory drive gear....before i pulled it....puts the compressor on tdc. My air compressor doesn't have the middle section where some pumps have a splined coupler that turns the air compressor
The crank for the air compressor is a part of the accessory drive shaft or its attached somehow. I've not disassembled the drive.
Honed the bore, got a new piston, rings, rod and major head kit.
Post a picture of it please

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was younger, older Proving Ground mechanics told me a little oil in the air tanks wasn't a bad deal, as the trucks of the day didn't have air dryers and the oil helped keep the rust down without hurting anything.

I get a tablespoon or so per day from the air tank drain when driving it.

DG

timgc78

There should be an adapter flange on the accessory drive rear that then uses a coupler with splines to hook to either a compressor input spline or a pt pump adapter for the splines for generators.
Not on this one. The air compressor body bolts directly to the accessory drive housing. Here are photos of both styles. 20220421_113651.jpg20220421_113706.jpg

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is an old set up. What year is your truck? The parts book actually shows the set up you have, AR-51299 as opposed to AR-13134. There is a note that AR-13134 is used after ESN 10448850.

I have not seen that set up in over 30 years. You will not be able to install the newer style in place of what came on the engine unless you change fuel lines, but it can be done fairly easily. Compressor is the same, 13CFM

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ORIGINAL part number for the gasket is 156089. I just called an ex-co worker that is still at Cummins. That part is obsolete from Cummins. You might try 3069101, the drain location and bolt pattern should be the same, but IIRC, the shape of the casting is different. A quick search on the interwebs SAYS people have the gasket, but no image to confirm any difference in shape.

timgc78

The ORIGINAL part number for the gasket is 156089. I just called an ex-co worker that is still at Cummins. That part is obsolete from Cummins. You might try 3069101, the drain location and bolt pattern should be the same, but IIRC, the shape of the casting is different. A quick search on the interwebs SAYS people have the gasket, but no image to confirm any difference in shape.
Ha!! My truck is a Jeep Kaiser XM813 cargo. I have no idea what year it was manufactured.
ESN is 740058.
Could you share that version of the parts book with me? I have the 5 ton parts book but it doesn't show my style accessory drive or air compressor. Fortunately the rod, piston and rings in my pump are the same as other holset air compressors. I honed the cylinder bore with a rigid engine hone and it's gonna go back as a standard size . The 3069101 gasket isn't a fit.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ESN is a very old one, wonder if it was a replacement at sometime in it's life. I can share the manual, but, I think I will scan this one and put it in the TM section along side the 900 series manual I put there a few years back. PM me your phone number and I can take a picture of the pages on this compressor.

When you stab the assembly, the keyway should be straight up, 1200. The gears are helical cut so when you set it up to install, set the shaft in a position that the keyway is 1 tooth off of 1200 and as it slides into place, the key will be at 12 with the assy fully seated. No sealant on the gasket, it can get squished into the oil supply passage and starve the compressor of oil.

timgc78

The ESN is a very old one, wonder if it was a replacement at sometime in it's life. I can share the manual, but, I think I will scan this one and put it in the TM section along side the 900 series manual I put there a few years back. PM me your phone number and I can take a picture of the pages on this compressor.

When you stab the assembly, the keyway should be straight up, 1200. The gears are helical cut so when you set it up to install, set the shaft in a position that the keyway is 1 tooth off of 1200 and as it slides into place, the key will be at 12 with the assy fully seated. No sealant on the gasket, it can get squished into the oil supply passage and starve the compressor of oil.
That's good advice. Before I pulled the accessory drive. I pulled the pulley, then took out the timing plug and barred the engine until the timing marks on the cam and accessory gear lined up.
I noticed that the air compressor was on TDC with the timing marks meshed as I had the head off the pump to inspect the cylinder bore.
I also would like to find the part # for the plastic washer That's goes on the accessory drive shaft before the accessory drive pulley.
It fits between the seated pulley and the bushing in the housing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks