• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 won't start

ndavis

Hey guys I'm new here this is my first post. I bought a 1970 m813 a while back it has fired up every time I've tried to start it exept this time. Last time I tried starting it, it rolled over fine fired once or twice had to try a few times then it stayed running. I went and hauled hay with it and didn't have any problems when I got home I let it idle for about 5 minutes before shutting it down. Today I went out to try to start it and it just rolls over And over. I tried purging the system of air with the primer plunger and it push some fuel through now all I'm getting is air and no fuel. If there is air in the system will the primer eventually Purge out all of the air? I pumped it a lot and I'm still getting air what would cause this? It has a half a tank of fuel. If anybody has some input would be great I need this thing running by next weekend for my son's homecoming parade for the football team. Thanks

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After I changed the fuel filter in mine I could not get my 813 to prime. Little pump on dash worthless for whatever reason on mine. I ended up using my air compressor to pressurize fuel tank. I removed return line, put rubber end on air chuck and pressured take through fitting that return tied to. Pressurized to just few psi and busted line loose at IP until no more air came out. Truck started after finally got air purged. I don't know if this the correct way to go about it but it worked for me. You likely have an cracked hose or fitting, but this might help show where that is as well Just my 2 cents.

BTW welcome from SOOK.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Hey ndavis, first welcome to the madness! If you put air to it and still don't get fuel to the IP check the fuel tank pickup tube. Not sure about the 813 but the 939 series are know to have issues with the tube. My M923 was loosing prime overnight and when I pulled the fitting from the tank the tube just about fell out of the fitting. Glad that didn't happen on the road! Also check all rubber lines between the tank and filter and IP. They are also known to be an issue. Good luck and let us know what you find. Throw up a few pictures of your truck too, we love pictures!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you serviced your fuel filter lately?(ever)

Have you replaced the rubber fuel line?

Find your leak and fix it, don't use air to get it going(won't fix anything). You are loosing prime because somewhere there is an air leak.

Are you opening the petcock when priming with the hand pump?

ndavis

The fuel filter was changed about a year ago. I have not replaced the rubber fuel line. I had the petcock open while try to purdge and I was very little fuel mostly bubbles. I will look for leaks and get some pics of the truck up I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for the help

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks