• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813A1 home now!

shootiniron

Well I cant decide if I'm ready to cross to the dark side or not. I brought this M813A1 today. Not a bad trip only about 140 mi. First time for me in one of these. Seemed to have plenty of get up and go. Odometer shows about 3400 mi and short of 500 hrs. on the tach. It needs a couple items yet,most noteworthy would be a new muffler. The current one has seperated from the stack pipe and is a bit rusted on the bottom.

I liked the ride and the steering is, well, way bitchen! Like my POV. Quite a departure from my deuce and it has the air assist. The engine sounds very healthy seems to run well. Lots of gear train whine, is that normal? Only leak is at the right front wheel, like the seals are giving up. Oil on the inside of the tire. Noticed that when shifting you really cover some country with the shift pattern!

I'm hopeing that someone can explain the air noise when shifting into reverse, its like a "pop" sound. Lastly when I arrived in my driveway, which was very wet and a bit muddy on top, I shifted into reverse and started backing up and the gear train felt like it "bound up" then there was a slight jolt. Did that twice then no more. Could it be the T-case doing what ever it does?

Like I said I'm new to these and have alot to learn if I'm gonna keep it.Thanks!

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the air you here is the sprag control shifting into reverse,you are supposed to go from first to reverse then reverse to first, dont let the truck roll backwards while in foward, and roll foward while in reverse

Lorax

Like 73m819 said. DONT roll forward while in reverse, or roll backward while in neutral or a forward gear. There is a modification to vent the air pressure going to the actuator that would remove this concern. The modification is here somewhere on SS.

Nice looking 813. I love the sound of the Cummins engine.

bevanet

"Like 73m819 said. DONT roll forward while in reverse, or roll backward while in neutral or a forward gear. There is a modification to vent the air pressure going to the actuator that would remove this concern. The modification is here somewhere on SS."

What happens if you do this? I may have already let mine roll backward while in first not knowing it is a problem.

Good Looking M813! I really enjoy driving my M813 around. The drive train noise especially when letting off the throttle is pretty normal for the M809 series 5 ton trucks. A rusted muffler is justification for a straight pipe.... I fully intend on removing the muffler off ours this Summer. I figure you're wearing earplugs anyway while driving these (or should be on longer trips) so whats another couple db of noise?

Have fun with your new rig.

Andy

shootiniron

Thanks! I've done a few things since buying,nothing major though.I did an inner axel seal on the left front,muffler change out,side racks and troop seats, changed fluids and filters, installed a deuce front grill screen(looks nice!),hanging steps under the front bumper,NOS steering wheel and a few things inside the cab to clean it up.I really like driving it,the steering is second to none!I'll get some current pics up when I get back home this weekend.

Lorax

When in N or 1st gear, the transfer case actuator is set to engage the front axle for forward motion. When in R the actuator is set for reverse. Does that ake sense?

Basically heres what happens. In N and 1st gear, air is sent to the sprag actuator in the transfer case and engages the transfer case (front axle) gears to activate the front axle if the front axle spins slower than the rear axles, which is what will happen if you begin to get stuck. When in R, the same thing happens except the transfer case actuator sets the gears to engage if the rear axles spin faster than the front turning in reverse. Clear as mud?

If you're in N or 1st, and roll backwards more than a short distance, the transfer case gears get in a bind. If the bind becomes too great, it can break things. Same thing happens if you're in R and roll forward more than a short distance.

Before driving anywhere in my 5 tons, I always sit still and go back and forth from 1st and R a few times, making sure to hear the pshhhh air and clunk sounds of the actuator switching back and forth.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like the truck[thumbzup]. She looks pretty good out the gate:driver:. I have to agree that the Deuce grille looks better. I have one on my truck. I don't like the "tube" grille.

Where did you pick her up?

bevanet

When in N or 1st gear, the transfer case actuator is set to engage the front axle for forward motion. When in R the actuator is set for reverse. Does that ake sense?

Basically heres what happens. In N and 1st gear, air is sent to the sprag actuator in the transfer case and engages the transfer case (front axle) gears to activate the front axle if the front axle spins slower than the rear axles, which is what will happen if you begin to get stuck. When in R, the same thing happens except the transfer case actuator sets the gears to engage if the rear axles spin faster than the front turning in reverse. Clear as mud?

If you're in N or 1st, and roll backwards more than a short distance, the transfer case gears get in a bind. If the bind becomes too great, it can break things. Same thing happens if you're in R and roll forward more than a short distance.

Before driving anywhere in my 5 tons, I always sit still and go back and forth from 1st and R a few times, making sure to hear the pshhhh air and clunk sounds of the actuator switching back and forth.
That makes some sense, and explains why I hear a pshhh when I shift into and out of reverse. Does anyone have a guess about how far "a little ways" is? (a few feet, 10 yards...)