• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813A1 Senior Project

MX922

I recently bought an M813A1 off of the govliquidation site an im a 16year old highschool student and I'm going to repaint it for my senior project to graduate and i need some help.

• What are the correct colors for the camouflage and how much paint would i need?
  • also is the canvas over the cargo area paintable?
Any info is very appreciated
Thank you

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome senior project. Congrats! Search is definitely your friend. Make sure you do some preventative maintenance if you plan on driving it too. If you haven't already, get yourself a copy of the technical manuals (downloadable on this site) Start by read over the PMCS and operation sections of the -10.

Painting the cargo cover doesn't work very well. I wouldn't do it. If you want the truck to look like a contemporary Army truck use 383 green CARC substitute, brown and black. Or you can go all 686 tan. You can get paint here: Rapco Paint Descriptions & Recommended Uses!!! NEW
Look here for more: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bodywork/36325-painting-noob-how-paint-camo.html

M813A1

You can order the paint from RAPTCO Parts they have te paint for arond $ 110 for a 4 gal. case plus shippimg !! You can paint it any color you want it is your truck. Good Luck. The colors for the 3 tone camo paint are 383 Green , 383 Brown and 911 flat black or if youwant the Desert paint it is 383 tan .

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently bought an M813A1 off of the govliquidation site an I'm a 16year old high school student and I'm going to repaint it for my senior project to graduate and i need some help.

• What are the correct colors for the camouflage and how much paint would i need?
  • also is the canvas over the cargo area paintable?
Any info is very appreciated
Thank you
I know some of the members have painted their canvas, but the projects that I know of are fairly recent. (i.e., they could not say how well the painted canvas would hold up). Probably has a lot to do with the type paint that is used.

Search through the site for different patterns, colors, and paint types. You should be able to find all the information you wanted to know... if not more. :)

Some people have been trying exterior house paint with some success, but there are obviously some issues at least the first few weeks of the drying process.

I plan on going with a high quality paint when I get around to painting my truck. Don't have faith in the house paint, at least at this time.

BTW, you don't want to breath in the paint dust when prepping (I assume you were not planning to do that. :) ). I have heard the military paint can be a bit more hazardous then normal auto paint.

Nice score with the 5 ton.

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW, you don't want to breath in the paint dust when prepping. I have heard the military paint can be a bit more hazardous then normal auto paint. /QUOTE]

Mike is spot on. Proper protective equipment is absolutely key. Any paint dust, etc is bad for your lungs but military CARC is worse. Wear a good mask, goggles, gloves, and coveralls etc. Don't take the dust inside with you, and keep unprotected people/animals aways when sanding, grinding, wire brushing, etc. Read more about it when you do some searching on the site.

MX922

Would you recomend taking all of the original paint off down to bare metal or is there an easier way to be sure of a smooth finish?

Danger Ranger

I don't see a smooth finish in your future....just because I have not seen a smooth MV yet.

Rough it up, sand it down, and wipe it down, (not necessarily in that order....)