• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 converstion to M813 what are the differences mods needed.

Superthermal

All, if I buy an M816 what is needed to "convert" it down to just an M813. The differences after removing the Crane/bed assembly that I think I know are:
1. M816 has a heavy plated frame to allow the extra 15K + weight the crane assembly adds. (no modification needed for conversion)
2. M816 has a different rear spring pack with a Solid bottom-out bar to limit spring travel when hauling. (possible replacement needed but if running 16.00 R20 this might be better than just adding bump stops to limit wheel travel? ideas?)
3. M816 has a rear facing Transfer case mounted PTO to power the cranes hydraulics. (no modification needed for conversion)
4. M816 always has a winch and cable feeder and Vice on front end. (no modification needed for conversion)
5. M816 has two smaller fuel tanks with a switching valve. (no modification needed for conversion)
6. M816 has a spare tire mount behind the cab.(no modification needed for conversion if removed )
7. UNKNOWN is the Spicer 5 speed in the M816 a 1:1 5th gear or do they also have the OD... is this dependent on year?

So what am I overlooking? Are there any other issues that need to be considered to add a cargo bed onto the frame?
Also where would be a good place to donate/trade the crane/bed assembly to so it can be a benefit to the MV community?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 816 has what is known as a 'walking beam' rear suspension, so it will sit down when a lot of weight gets on the truck. Otherwise, it has a bit of spring to it allow a somewhat better ride.

All the 800-series have the same transfer case. The rear facing PTO is easily added to any of them, valuable in that it can handle lots of horsepower. The cable device on the winch is known as a Level Wind.

98G is right, sell the wrecker and get the 813, new canvas, hardtop, M105 trailer, and a good dinner. Maybe even tires!

DG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks