• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 front axel repair

m816

The M816 went out for exercise the other day. Paul had trouble with the front wheel locking up. We went to recover it but it was impisible to flat tow because of the bad front wheel. We managed to get it off the road and the next day, it was towed into the motor pool.
After removing the front wheel we determined that the axel had self destructed and one of the balls broke the casting right near the bottom kingpin and caused a catostopic failure of the axel housing. The entire front axel housing and both axels as well as front berings will have to be replaced. The truck is all cribbed up and we will complete the axel removal tomorrow. We secured a new housing and will rebuild everythig as we go. Picture will be taken and posted as we progress, so tune soon.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any particular cause for something like this? Defect? Metal fatigue? Unusual stress on the front axle?

m816

Both Boots were worn. The boot on the left side was torn and there was a lot of water in there. The inner seal on the left side is shot too. Inside the steering knuckle it was packed full of grease. Looks like more than a gallon of grease inside. way more than I think would be needed. We will know more when we shovel all the grease off everything. Looks like both axel shaft will be replace. Memphis says you can reuse the balls if they arn't too sloppy. but replace them if they keep falling out . We will have to look at this a little closer before we reuse any of the old parts. I don't want to have to do this job a second time. The bering on the right side is froze to the spindle and all the berings will have to be replace as well as the seals. I haven't gotten into the diferential itself yet, preferring to tackle that after it is out of the truck. more on that tonight.
My own theory on the cause is these trucks are usnig the same axels that were designed for the old gas engine. Since they came in service we have changed to the multifuel s then added ten inches of frame and the Cummins engine without any design changes to the front axels. I just think all the extra weight is causing all the problems with the 800 seried trucks. I'm hearing of a lot of bering failures and busted spindles that I never heard of before.

m816

I got the front axel out and it is all disasembled. We finished the day cleaning parts and making a parts list. The yard is a mess with all the grease but we have it all torn down. We have a new axel for the drivers' side and I was putting the balls back in the cv joint and noticed a groove worn in the socket part of the joint where all four balls rotate. now I'm worried that the passenger side will grenade next . Gonna put a call in to Memphis in the AM to find out if what we saw is acceptable or if we should condem that axel as well. Tomorrow we will be installing the inner seals and reinstalling the steering knuckles and finish cleaning the differential We will be held up while waiting for some parts but we can use the down time to clean the area before the EPA gets alook at the place. I took pictures but can't figure out how to get them posted. My bad

m816

We have a whole assembly now. Paul went and got in his pickup. I was napping when he pulled in but we will offload it in the AM. Hopefully it is serviceable and we can get on with the repairs. [thumbzup]

m816

The front axel was installed yesterday and we finished up all the little stuff this morning. The job was success. Wheels turn, brakes work, wheels turn left and right. Next is to drain the oil and lube the whole front assy. Then adjust the brakes . We found one bad boot that will need to be replaced as well. Thanks for the offer of an axel

m816

We got so all fuzzy and stuff we had to start bobbing a deuce that has been in the yard for too long. Got the cab and bed removed and repositioned the truck in front of the shop bay for the removal of the rear bogies. It has been a busy weekend:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks