• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 grill/brush guard difference

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tired of patching my 'tube n mesh' grill I noticed in an old post an earlier style grill on a M816 - is this a "factory" left over or a later inservice mod or a civi 'upgrade' (since it's more solidly construction)? I notice the vise is also different.

I'd like to have a similar grille/guard but not if it's "wrong" for my '72 truck.

vs http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attach...851-m816-wrecker-m816-heater-pictures-006.jpg

M813A1

No the M809 came with 2 styles of grilles the tube style were early style and the flat bar grille was later on . Some peopel say that the tube style was for the Army and the flat bar grill was for Marine Corp trucks . The tube style is prone to filling with water and rusting !! I got a flat bar style for my 71, M813A1, I like the look of it much better then the tube style that came on my truck !!

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
No the M809 came with 2 styles of grilles the tube style were early style and the flat bar grille was later on . Some peopel say that the tube style was for the Army and the flat bar grill was for Marine Corp trucks . The tube style is prone to filling with water and rusting !! I got a flat bar style for my M813A1, I like the look of it much better then the tube style !!
Not sure what is called early, my 73m819 has the flat bar grill, thought the mesh grill was LATER 800s

jaxsof

My 72 has a flat bar. But as I have seen the XMs had the tube grill. Who really knows what part you would get if you ordered one through the supply chain. It would be the next one on the shelf.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tube style is prone to filling with water and rusting !!!
I was told that, I was also told the water would get in and fill up the tubes, and during the winter it would freeze and start the process of splitting the tubes open. I've seen some on the trucks that looked like they were split apart from the inside, and this explanation is the only one that makes sense.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1970 XM818 had a tube type, but I changed it to a flat bar style. I like the way they look better.

bearboley

I saw thread about this before in the past and it was thought that xm trucks had tube grills and production m series trucks had the flat bar. My 1970 xm816 has a tube grill but the 1971 m816 I looked at the otherday had a flat grill. That kinda supports the notion.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm guessing that there aren't any Gasser or Multifuel 5 tons with 'Tube n Mesh' grilles and that 'Tube' grilles on M800's are the norm - from the factory, with stocked spares of slat grilles being used up as and when later damaged 800's needed a new one... Making it a legit mod.
Inlight of this - I think I will hunt out a 'slat' grille, looks much sturdier, but drill a drain hole in the bottom of my repaired 'tube n mesh' in the mean time.