• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m816 home and questions

reb87

I got my m816 home to Nebraska from Camp Dodge IA. Recovery went well, my truck ended up having the boomjack bases laying in the box. It has 2 big and 2 small cable block and tackle, two for rope, axe,sledge hammer,shovel,pick,two 30ton jacks,wiffle, misc BIG chains, tire chains, misc towbar ends(but no towbar:mad:) and air hoses, hand tools etc. The truck started right up and ran great all the way home. Muffler blew out half way home.
The sarge was push starting a m818 when I got there so they seemed pretty helpful. Lots of 2.5 ton trucks there. I think the sarge said over 100 left to sell.

The question I have on the m816. There seemed to be a vibration around 50mph(so I ran 45) The only thing I could find was that the driveshaft from the back of the transfercase that drives the crane,winch transmission was turning if I was driving. Is there any way to shut it off? The tm shows a lever beside the transfercase lever and front winch pto lever, but my truck dosent have it. The crane works fine and I dont know for sure that the shaft is turning when Im driving but it does turn if I put the tcase in neutral and put the trans in 4th. I just cant find a lever to turn off the transfercase pto shaft.

(I know the last pic looks bad with the powerlines but they werent even close.)

Attachments

KsM715

Not to ba a safety nazi, (sp?) but please dont do that, (the last pic) near power lines.
otherwise nice truck wish I had one.

reb87

We werent close to the powerlines, it just looks that way. Truck was never moved after moving the m944 box.

reb87

I checked the lever behind the seat. It just puts an auxillary transmission in gear to run the crane/rear winch. I still cant find a way to shut off the shaft coming out of the back of the transfer case. The shaft turns irregardless of the lever behind the seat but the crane/rear winch wont work unless the lever behind the seat is engaged. The shaft turns when the transfercase is in neutral and the transmission is in a gear. I think it might be turning when Im going down the road but I dont know how to check.

I bought a m816 for the rear winch and had plans to use the pto off the transfer case and found the same thing it turnes all the time . I had to buy a pto that shifts in or out from memphis .

Shackey985

T cas in nutral that lever by your seat forward and in gear and you have crane, winch drive.
T cas in high or low lever by your seat rearward and you have no drive to crane or winch.
Weather the pto prop spins when driving ? mark it and take it for a spin up the road.

jimmcld

There are only two shafts that run to the back: the hydraulic pump for the crane, and the winch. If the crane is being controled by the power divider lever in the cab, it would only leave the winch shaft. The winch shaft is the bigger shaft that runs pretty much level to the back. The crane shaft makes a sharp upward angle about the middle of the truck.

If the winch shaft is turning, the winch should be turning. Do you have any cable on the winch? Anyway, it is controled by the two side-by-side levers on the left side of the winch. It is the outboard lever and it has three positions. Neutral is in the middle and it should align with the pin hole in the shaft. By the way, the pin should always be kept in the two levers. This is a safety factor.

The linkage on mine was frozen up going to these two levers. You might get under the truck and have your dad operate the levers (while the truck is not running) and see if the winch linkage is operating correctly. It pushes a shaft in and out on the power divider gear case to change from forward to reverse, with neutral in the middle.

Jim

reb87

The shaft from the Transfercase to the powerdivider is what Im refering to. It spins if the transmission is in gear and the transfercase is in neutral. Im guessing that it is also turning when Im going down the road, unless it is only engaged if the transfer case is in neutral and not high/low.

The TM (page 2-163, letter F under "lifting and swinging the load")shows a lever by the transfercase lever in front of the seat that is listed as the "transfer power takeoff lever" My truck dosent have it and Im wondering if they did away with it and the shaft turns any time the truck is in gear.

the lever operated pto may have been done away with and one that turns all the time put in because of the oil pump it pulls oil from the bottom of the transfer case and puts it in the pto . the pto has to turn to pump this oil . so with the old pto if you stoped the truck to use the winch . winch has no way to clutch out . the bearings in the pto would be dry till the winch has turned enough to pump oil and it is not a fast process . so maybe the new pto keeps the bearings oiled .