• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 in the back yard

CGarbee

I just got my '70 AMG M816 home Saturday and it needs a little TLC (hole in the hydraulic tank and a sticking pair of brake shoes...).
It's also got a little cab rust and a hole in the passenger side fuel tank, and some dead bulbs and bad grounds on the lights...

Jim from Chapel Hill (who operates a M816 owned by a local Scout Troop) came over to my place on Saturday and rode over to FrankUSMC's place in my XM813. We unloaded some stuff for Frank, loaded the issue gear for the wrecker (that Frank had in secure storage), aired up the tires, , changed the fuel filter, fiddled with the stop lever on injector pump (handle was in, but lever had rotated preventing the engine from starting), and cranked her right up.
Jim then drove the M816 home for me while I played chase in the XM813. Asside from having to make two stops to cool the brakes and perform some adjustments (two of the drums were hanging so we backed of on the shoe adjustment and he was fine until he had to do some heavy braking in city trafic near my home when we had to blead off some fluid in order to get him mobile again...) it was a smooth ride home.
Ate at King's BBQ in Kinston... :)
Truck purs like a kitten...

I'll post photos when I have a chance to take some (likely Friday when I can get home before dark). We were too busy to take any on the recovery... :(

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't wait to see pictures!

I absolutely love my(wives) M819! Without a lot of help from some really great friends on this site, it would not have happened. Congrats on getting your wrecker home! My hats off to your help too.

CGarbee

Back in the DRMO days the Boy Scout Purchases where a lisc. to loot LOL
LOL, the local Army National Guard unit did a complete PM on the wrecker that the Scout Troop got just before they sent it over to the FEP yard. I think that they even topped of the tanks on the way in... It has gotten fresh paint, a pair of batteries, and new lines on the fuel selector switch (and routine PM) since they got it, but otherwise is a creampuff...

CGarbee

Congratulations, Cabell. Will we see the truck at Aberdeen this year?
I'd really like to have it at Aberdeen. AMGeneral told me when he went down to look at it with me that it was my turn to drive one on the Convoy.
Only thing is that I think that I will also have to have my cargo truck there.
I also need to get my XM708 and M817 dump trucks there at the same time so we have a choice in dump sizes... :)

I likely will have it at the farm for the Labor Day trailrides.

Tanner

Soooo...

... that's where you've been hiding!

Congrats on the new truck - one question: Will it tow old MG's? ;)

'Tanner'

southdave

LOL, the local Army National Guard unit did a complete PM on the wrecker that the Scout Troop got just before they sent it over to the FEP yard. I think that they even topped of the tanks on the way in... It has gotten fresh paint, a pair of batteries, and new lines on the fuel selector switch (and routine PM) since they got it, but otherwise is a creampuff...
They Have alot trucks, I guess I know of some that never seen a boy scout along with the other crap that was bought by the ton LOL

CGarbee

... that's where you've been hiding!

Congrats on the new truck - one question: Will it tow old MG's? ;)

'Tanner'
Not sure about towing that MG... But it can pick it up, slap it on the tag trailer, and haul it over...

I know that it could tow a project M37 from one side of town to the other as well... ;)

You need to stop by and take a gander at it...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks