• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m816 Lube order question

EO2NMCB

lube order.jpg
Was checking gear boxes today, is the seal case and bevel gear box connected? Where it would share geal oil.

Last edited:

wcuhillbilly

everything in that lower portion is a real PITA to get too, Trust me I just blew mine up...... The seal in the crane drive housing that transfers power up into the turret is unobtainium according to Jeff davis, and when it goes, get ready to retro fit an M936 version on there. the oval housings are filled from the top or the sides and are seperate from the other gear box housings. on the pwer divider side. you have to fill the oval box, the tunnel, the other extension shaft housing(this one can actually be filled by the power divider but it actually has a small plug in the top)

EO2NMCB

I managed to get the plugs to free up but I didn't have a pump with me at the time to get the gear oil in the housings. I was just hoping there was an easier way to fIll the gear boxes as it is a pita to get to it. Wcuhillbilly i'd be curious to know how your conversion works out, please take lots of pictures and I did write up ,thanks.

wcuhillbilly

Machinist has the yoke cap worked out and is waiting on a seal, for my conversion. basically what we are doing is dropping the longer extension housing. I would have dropped both if I had found the set screw in the coupler at the power divider. I dropped the long housing with the oval box, and figured out that the CV flange on the oval box comes off with a bolt into the shaft, the flange is keyed onto the shaft thus no splines just a woodruff key. The shaft in the long extension housing is held in with a bearing at each end and a snap ring at the rear (closest to pwr divider) where the shaft tapers and enters the coupler. the coupler to the output of the pwr div is held to the shaft with an allen set screw on a woodruff key. by removing all this stuff you will be looking at a short 1 1/2 diameter output shaft exiting the pwr divider, 6 housing bolts and a large roller bearing. Had I known the coupler would come off I would have had my machinist mill me a cover with a yoke to go straight onto that pwr divider and slip a yoke over the 1 1/2 shaft. Keeping a seal in this would be hard, as the woodruff key yokes are not known for holding an oil seal. In addition, idealy the shaft would need to be tapped to accept a bolt to hold the yoke on without using a set screw. tapping the end of the shaft would be hard as its still in the pwr divider and is likely hardened steel.
easier yet, is to make an adapter that bolts to the power divider by way of the 6 housing bolts and then extends out far enough to let the input shaft of a hydraulic pump couple to the shaft out of the power divider,,,, thus eliminating the "golden Driveshaft" and setting up the 816 like the 936 for all hydraulic crane motivation.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks