• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 (M809 Series) fuel pump drip

catskillpond

Have an 816 with 250 cummins motor was rebuilt 1980. New pump was put on 8 years ago. The drip is located on the front of pump . there is one bolt at 8 o clock and another at 4 o clock and 1 allan bolt at 6 o clock . It only drips sometimes and not much maybe 4 ounces then it wont drip for awhile. Does not drip when engine is running checked for cracks in the housing both sides are dry... Does anyone know the purpose of the allan screw at the bottom??? Looked in TM no luck. Any insight would be appreciated Thanks Scott The drip is diesel.

Redpawn

One of my 816s drip from the same place while running. What style pump do you have the one with the secondary governor bolted on top or the one that has the secondary governor made into the main body of the pump?

fasttruck

My 818 showed up with at least a class 2 leak between the PT fuel pump and the air compressor. Leak at input shaft on front of pump. Leaked most when at idle, less when driving or shut off. Engine also getting hard to start if not run recently. Sent pump out to be resealed. Instructions for removing/replacing pump are in section 5-13 of TM 9-2320-260-20

fasttruck

Number here is at least $500.00 depending on what is wrong with it. Check with vendors in your area. Cummins has its own depot/shop in Newark, NJ on Doremus AV and there are several independent diesel fuel system sops in northern NJ. IN AZ they had to send it to CA for the cure.

fasttruck

Fuel pump came back from vendor. Cost was $26.00 for parts, mostly seals and o rings. Labor $400.00 Leaks were caused by dryed out and cracked o rings. Besides leaks situation made it difficult to start engine if hadn't been run recently.

Canadian Gunner

Fuel pump came back from vendor. Cost was $26.00 for parts, mostly seals and o rings. Labor $400.00 Leaks were caused by dryed out and cracked o rings. Besides leaks situation made it difficult to start engine if hadn't been run recently.
Thanks for the post. My M816 has been getting progressively harder to start. I'll look at the pump seals!👍

I got it two years ago and got it running after it had sat for three years (Previous Owner had passed away). It ran like a champ for the first year and, this winter, it became harder and harder to start. Now it will run on ether but won't start at all.

Cheers! Mike

fasttruck

Thanks for the post. My M816 has been getting progressively harder to start. I'll look at the pump seals!👍

I got it two years ago and got it running after it had sat for three years (Previous Owner had passed away). It ran like a champ for the first year and, this winter, it became harder and harder to start. Now it will run on ether but won't start at all.

Cheers! Mike
This one leaked bad at idle and leak dimished as engine loaded up. Fuel came out of vent hole of flange between air pump and fuel pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks