• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 noise

m816truck

Just received my M816, Drove it around my place and found at some times seemingly in the right situation the drive line will seem to bind-up some and then let go with a big pop(sounds like a whack with a ball-pin hammer on a drive shaft. Have heard its due to the automatic frontwheel drive letting go. Seems like a tough sound, but I guess its a tough truck. I have not gone through the manuals enough to know how the system works, Me not knowing the system well makes me concerned something is not correct. I sure someone knows of this issue. thanks Mike.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may not be shifting it correctly. Also, never roll with it in gear, in the opposite direction (of the gear your in).

Read your manuals before you do very expensive and labor intensive damage.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
REMEMBER DO NOT let the trusk roll backward in forward gear, and DO NOT let the truck roll forward while in reverse, this will cause this windup that you are hearing and felling

READ the -10

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And shift into first gear, everytime you go forward.

m816truck

That is what I did incorrect, was rolling backwards down a small hill into my shed where I park it in and was in 1st gear. Thanks for the intel.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Off topic but I allways let the air build complety before I even shift just incase the sprag is ithe wrong piston for the direction going. Not saying anyone does not wait to move the truck before air is up and oil limbered for at least 5 min.
I do some times move the Deuce around the yard right shortley after start up but first low and she will creap around with no fuel added.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That is what I did incorrect, was rolling backwards down a small hill into my shed where I park it in and was in 1st gear. Thanks for the intel.
I just DO NOT understand people, thay spend a LOT of money on a truck but CAN NOT figure out how to READ THE FREKEN OPERATORS MANUAL, then WONDER WHY the truck BROKE,

This is called the "NEW POLIT SYNDROME", someone figures out how to take off in a plane (any idiot can do this), once in the air thay realize that thay just MIGHT NEED a MANURAL which thay DO NOT have in order to land and walk away from said landing (takes some intelligence to accomplish this)

YES, I AM A TM BULLY [thumbzup]

Autocar

Also, don't roll backwards in neutral. The transmission air valves are set up so that the forward sprag is freewheeling in neutral and forward gears, while the reverse sprag is for reverse only. The pop you are hearing is the sprag clutch breaking loose. Extremely hard on the sprag.

m816truck

Mike here, as it turns out I did not brake my truck and I have read my OM, my potential serious and costly mistake was how important not having the trans in a gear opposite the direction of movement.
What I did find last night reading on some older post in this sight was how the sprag shifer in the TC should "Klunk" when shifting in and out of reverse, (mine had no sound like this and did not know it was suppose to),and how some have resolved the problem(not from the OM). I put the truck in the shop and connected shop air to it and worked the shifter netural to reverse (engine off) about 50 times, after about 20 times could start hearing the sprag system begin to shift , by the 40 time has a full "Klunk" sound of shifting in and out. TC oil change probably in order.Others sharing experiences is a valuable thing. thanks. I am also a licensed pilot for 30 years.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great, glad you found that info and resolved the issue. A squirt of lube in the airline to the valve, may help also.

As a habit, I shift into first and back to reverse a few times, everytime I drive a 5 ton, after the air builds up, and I listen for the right sound.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Great, glad you found that info and resolved the issue. A squirt of lube in the airline to the valve, may help also.
As a habit, I shift into first and back to reverse a few times, everytime I drive a 5 ton, after the air builds up, and I listen for the right sound.
See...that's how we need to help a new person with a question/problem, well...unless it's been answered 5,280 times in the last month in 365 threads. Which it hasn't.[thumbzup]

That grouchy ole 73M819 is just jealous cause he tried to fly his M819 without a license and the OP has a pilots license!!:whistle:

(Just kidding Ron...take another pill Brother)

martinsaunders06

And shift into first gear, everytime you go forward.
reverse gear and sprag is set for reverse and as gear lever comes back into neutral from reverse sprag then is set for forward REGARDLESS of first gear or any forward gear being selected - first gear dont matter sprag is already sorted .. ?Think this has been explained here on ss at least a million times.
martin

sandcobra164

I'm glad this issue was brought up this go around as I missed it the other times it was brought up. I've learned something that I did not know as well. I've got a 5 ton tractor out here with a sticking sprag and I didn't have a clue what was wrong. Every now and then when you first take off down the road, it'll feel like a ring and pinion with a chipped tooth not agreeing with one another, a decent bump and loud bang. Then all is fine. I tried shifting from reverse to 1st with air built up, truck shut off and I can hear the air trying to do something but no clunk. Then I thought back to Ferro being stuck in the mud at the GA Rally so many times and everytime he shifted from 1st to Reverse, a clunk. His setup is working fine and that's the sound you're looking for. Time to oil the Sprag on this truck and make sure it does not kill itself. Thanks for the info, that's why I try to read this stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks