• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 Towing Exercises (with pictures!)

jimmcld

The first thing I ever towed was another wrecker. Granted, it was a gasser. However, I lifted the front and pulled it up a twisting hill with no problem steering. But I didn't use the tow bar. I just had it swinging from the wiffle tree (I never got out of the driveway). I wonder if that made a difference.

Great pictures.

Capt.Marion

Just curious, why did you flip the shackles upside down when lift towing the other 816? Is there a reason for that or was it just to prevent damage?

From looking at the pictures, I'd reckon that the whiffle tree wouldn't mate correctly with the shackles unless they were flipped. The angle in the shackles would prevent them from aligning with the whiffle tree.

Feel free to correct me; I'm no expert at this.

1958 M274

Just curious, why did you flip the shackles upside down when lift towing the other 816? Is there a reason for that or was it just to prevent damage?
It seems like I remember reading somewhere in a manual to flip the shackles around. Looking back at it, that is probably only necessary on trucks without winches, since the shackles aren't very far forward of the grille.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks