• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 turntable trouble.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lube order just points to nothing and I did find this Allen head bolt. Removed it and poured in some oil but it just ran out. Looked under the truck for a turntable grease fitting but I don't see anything. The turntable wants to turn but seems like it is jamming up. Checked the drive gear and turntable gear but nothing is blocking it. Any ideas?

Attachments

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hate to ask the obvious, but no junk on the deck? second idea, don't think it would stop the rotation, but my 936, the center electrical contact housing had rusted up, and sheared the bolts right off when i rotated it the first time, resulting in ripping all the wires. after that i'd look into the hydraulic motor and gear.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She is turning just a little to the right and I can get it back to center but nothing to the left. Feels like something bad is holding it back.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this a new truck to you?

Did it just start doing this?

red

Broken teeth in the turn table or something wedged in there maybe if the crane is not swinging into anything. If it can go to the right and move to the left to get back to center then the motor/controls are working.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this a new truck to you?

Did it just start doing this?
No I have had this on for about 6 years. She has been sitting for at least 2 years. No broken teeth and nothing in the gears. There is a rear deck plate and a forward deck plate that come off easy. Today I am going to remove them and see if I can find the grease fittings. Thanks

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my gut feel is - no amount of lube will unfreeze this (but sure won't hurt), something is binding it (full disclosure, i sure have been wrong before..LOL). TM-9-2320-272-24-3 section 4-203 shows a flat bearing plate (part 1 bearing assembly), the TM is unclear if there are ball or roller bearings in the bearing assembly or if its just two flat plates. but something could be wedged up in there. also section 4-199 shows the turntable gear drive unit and its parts. maybe those pics will give you some ideas. i think the hole you found is the hole to access each bearing plate bolt to remove the turntable.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took off the back deck plate and also look again under the truck but no grease fitting. Yesterday I took out the 1/2 Allen head and tried to add some oil in the hole. It did not take much. This morning I removed the bolt and the oil was down from where it was. Added more oil and worked the controls and now she is rotating again. I will keep rotating it and adding more oil for the next couple of days. I do feel better now she is back rotating. Thanks.

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a grease fitting on the inside of the ring gear. Probably going to have to access it from underneath.
I will send the first person in the lower 48 states five bucks that takes a pick of the turntable grease fitting on there 816.
Don't know what I did by putting oil in the ring bolt hole but she is working and not acting like she is under strain.

Last edited:

M37keppy

The lube order states to rotate the boom while greasing. There is also a steel block bolted on the deck plate at the rear of the sun gear, might be a shield or a stop, but it can get gummed up with junk. Don't worry about the 5 bucks, just happy to be of some help.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right where you said it should be but covered up flush with old grease and two coats of paint. Passenger side between the two gussets. Got it cleaned out and it's taking grease. Yea seems like it would be easer with two people. Tanks

Attachments