• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 Wrecker - Camp Shelby, MS to Pinellas Park, FL

SixSpeed

Banned
Hey Guys,

Ran into some insurance issues on the wrecker...long story... won't be able to drive it back as I had hoped. Title pretty much says it all, thanks for any leads!

SixSpeed

Banned
Yeah, the truck starts/stops/steers. I thought about towing it back with the M818, but will consider it a last resort. Just more weight than I would be comfortable with.

Alredneck

Banned
To heavy for anything I can fit it on!. If my EUC clears on the new tractor can towbar it for ya, but that might be 2weeks from now.

If you decide to towbar it, just make sure all the wrecker steer tires are at max air pressure and hook up some air lince to the brake glad hands so you have brakes. You can even use the wammy bar ( trailer brake bar on column ) to use the wreckers brakes to slow your tractor down!

Ive towed our M816 with a deuce before but dont recommend it for as far as you have to go, and no wrecker brakes. Lots of drifting in the deuce that haul but it had to be done!:beer:

derf

Maybe find a local hot shot or similar lowboy coming back empty and have them pick it up?

SixSpeed

Banned
Alredneck, I'm in the same boat. Plenty of big trucks & trailers but nothing THAT big. Thanks for the info on flat towing in case I go that route.

I've got a couple bids on UShip, they are APPROACHING what I can pay. I am hovering around $4/ mile on uShip. I could probably swing $3/mile. Hoping to find someone to give a good price with the "I like green things" discount.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Also may be a dumb question but could you tow it back with your 818?
Towing an M816 with an M818 will get you killed, someone else killed or shut down by the DOT.

The M816 weighs 36,000 pounds......the M818 about 20,000......using the brakes on the wrecker is iffy at best and in a panic stop prob a no-go. If the wrecker or tractor blows a steering tire you are going to the ditch.

They haul trucks into the rebuild facility at Camp Shelby all the time....you should be able to find a stepdeck headed back your way.

Contact SS member CSMDAVIS.....he is in Hattiesberg and is a stand up guy......he has a wrecker and would prob store yours untill you can make safe passage to get it to FL.

Safety first.

Alredneck

Banned
WM, I didnt say it was the best idea just the safest way to towbar with whats available.

A regular road tractor weighs in around 18-22k lbs, with a trailer that average 10-15k lbs add another 40k lbs for max legal weight of 80k lbs. The jist is while the wrecker is heavier than the tractor as long as you use the wrecker brakes with the tractor brakes it can be done relatively safely. OTR driver use trailer brakes more than truck brake alot, **** you already know this! When I haul heavy I dial up y trailers to do more stopping than the truck. As long as you dont have it dialed up or slam the wammy and lock up the rears then your good. 10 tires on a wrecker should stop fairly well compared to 8 on a trailer!:beer:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
A regular road tractor weighs in around 18-22k lbs, with a trailer that average 10-15k lbs add another 40k lbs for max legal weight of 80k lbs.
On a road tractor the weight is on the 5th wheel which gives you a lot more braking power and pulling power than with towed weight.

For a short tow I agree that you could use the M818 to move the wrecker......it is a long way from Shelby to Pinellas Park, FL. Unless you dodged all the scales you are going to be looked at several times by the DOT guys.......espeically in FL.....all trucks are supposed to stop at the inspection stations.

This does not take into account the strain on the driveline and engine of the M818.......you would prob be a toad in the road on the interstate. If you averaged 35 MPH you would be doing good and the fuel milage would suck.

I paid 2500 to get my wrecker hauled from Shelby to Decatur, AL and considered it money well spent.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with WM.

Crap, that's at least the second time I have said that this year...:?

I towed the M819 for about 30 miles with an M818. Slow speed and white knuckles the whole way. It went well but it could have gone bad in a blink of an eye.

Alredneck

Banned
If you have axle clamps, the towbar will tow better also.

WM, only a partial amount of weight is on the 5th wheel, how much depends on the load and yes would be ideal but in this instance we can not do anything about that except maybe add some weight to the back of the tractor some how, but the more weight you add the more a dog it will be. Like I said its not the best way, but the safest with what he has available, and possible to do.

All states are broke, so the highway man and DOT dipsticks will always be looking to give a ticket for the lilest of stuff. It aint about making the roads safer to travel on, its about gaining money for the man! And screw the IFTA!:beer:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think GVWR for a M818 is about 57,000 lbs. Probably not enough payload left after you take into account the trailer weight.

Last edited:

midcounty

I agree with WM here. If it were just around the block I would tow it with the 818, but not that distance. If you have it off base and are not on a time schedule, you should be able to find someone looking for a load after they deliver to the base. PM me and I will give you the contact info of a guy I know with a drop deck. I know he hauled some stuff to MS for me, so maybe he can help. No promises, but another person to try.

466Navastar

what are those piggy back devices called that new truck transporters bolt to the front axle of towed truck - that have 5th wheel pin that mounts into the tow tractors 5th wheel?......this puts weight on the towing tractor and seems pretty safe - in my view Id be more comfortable with this than a tow bar....

Ive been googling to find what theyre called and where to get one with no luck

can anyone help?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks