• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 Wrecker - Camp Shelby, MS to Pinellas Park, FL

what are those piggy back devices called that new truck transporters bolt to the front axle of towed truck - that have 5th wheel pin that mounts into the tow tractors 5th wheel?......this puts weight on the towing tractor and seems pretty safe - in my view Id be more comfortable with this than a tow bar....

Ive been googling to find what theyre called and where to get one with no luck

can anyone help?
saddle mount

466Navastar

OK - found this online...obviously upside down - the 5th wheel pin goes in the tow tractors 5th wheel - I assume the towed trucks axle goes in the channel and the crossbolts hold it from jumping out..... the chains must get hooked on the ends of the axle - inside the spindles to lock it in

this could be modified to allow for the military front DRIVE axle to sit in saddles and clear the center section for use with 6x6 vehicles

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I googled the crap out of "saddle mount" and could not find a manufacturer or dealer.

These are what they use to transport new commercial trucks hooked together.

DAMFINO where you could get one.

The issue with a saddle mount is that you have to have a lifting device on both ends to get the towed vehicle on and off the saddle mount.

I am also assuming that they must have some way to use the air brakes on the towed vehicle(s).

466Navastar

I think theyre properly called "decking saddles" for anyone who wants to google addl info....there appears to be 2 kinds - the fifth wheel plug in and one that bolts to the frame of the tow tractor w/o a 5th wheel -and swivels like a tow dolly

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A commercial unit would require much modification. I looked at many before I decided that I would make my own. They are mostly designed to mount to a front axle beam.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave, do you think the.mods could be reversible? Kinda like different shoes to fit the front drive axle?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks