• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 Wrecker dumb question

houdel

Here is a M816 Wrecker dumb question. How is the crane operator supposed to safely get into the crane compartment? The side of the compartment comes right out to the edge of the wrecker body, so how you safely get in there?

On my M125 wrecker with the M816 body, the previous owner added a 6" wide catwalk to the M816 bed so I have someplace somewhat safe to put my feet while I grab the side of the crane compartment with my hands and scoot my way over - a little dangerous, particularly if it happens to be icy. Does a regular M816 have some other way to get into the crane compartment?

acetomatoco

I go up from the driver's door to the step over the left fuel tank to the top of the in bed tool compartments and then, facing the boom, side step on the edge of the body to the opening in the operator's station, step in and set down.

papercu

wrecker

Yer gotta remember the ones that operated them "in the day" was mostly in their twenties and didn't need fancy things like safety. Wayne

jason@snakeriver

You ought to look at the cab on an M-819 aircraft wrecker. You have to open the little door and work your way in.
Ours was off for transport, and we left it off. Tom @ Snake River

houdel

Re: RE: M816 Wrecker dumb question

M1075 said:
My M816 has a flip-up platform to stand on when using entering/exiting the crane seat. About 6-8" wide.
Great idea. Gotta add something like that to my crane seat. We get WAY too much snow out here to tiptoe along the edge of the bed. Course, I'd have to be crazy to drive my beast in the snow! But, I must have been crazy to buy it in the first place!

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=19684

madsam

I have a 6 foot aluminum step latter that I have issued to the truck. It is light enough to toss up on the back and take with me. I not only lean it on the bed to get into the gondola, but I use it in the front fender to check the oil or open the hood. I need a lot of sit ups to climb up all the time into the back. The latter makes that easer.

beaubeau

Pa.rich, If U can't run with the big boys, stay on the Porch!!Lol It is a Dog getting Old!! I used to jump up and down to get on the rigs, now I must Crawl. I got an old GMC Log truck with Prentice loader. That is quite a hump,getting to the top to run it. Phil

m816

Just like the other guys have stated, We were a lot younger back in the day. Some of you may have seen the little nerff step that was on the ten ton 123's. Well I made a couple for five tons and it really helps the knees. If I had put one on my wrecker, I may have held on to it a little longer. After back surgery and a host of other problems , climbing around a wrecker became too much. The fun part is driving the crane but absent soldier # 2 and having to rig and drive the crane then re rig just became too much. I don't know what is worse, the pain or the booze to get past the pain?