• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M817 5 ton Dump, front axle Questions

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck front diff engages fine in reverse but not in forward gears. While in reverse air is bleeding out of pop it valves constantly, air seals off in forward. Any suggestions?
Engaging in one direction and not the other sounds like the one way sprag clutch could be damaged.

I would check your air lines going to the transfer case for leaks. I had one split there before.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How are you checking engagement? The front turns at a different rpm than the rear and the sprag does not lock in unless the rear is slipping. The front is like 16/1 and the rear is 17/1. Sprag releases the difference. You should hear the cylinder shifting forward to reverse but no air leaks.

The only way I see to check is to jack all axles up and run it slow.

Dirtydeedsmx

I’m hauling dirt in sand,, while running in forward the rear will start slipping with no evidence of front engagements. In reverse you can see the front pull when rear slips. Thanks for the input! Didn’t know about the difference in ratios.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks