• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m817 dump...real payload

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More than the bed will hold. Personally, I wouldn't be afraid to put 15 tons+ on one.

mckeeranger

I've done 12 tons on an XM817, and it handled it pretty well.
Like Porkysplace said though, be careful about hauling more than the license tag, and your license, will allow.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
15 tons on top of the truck weight will most likely get you a hefty overweight ticket though on public roads.
Well you will be over the data plate GVW but within the axle weight laws in TN. You are allowed 54,000lb on the M817 as far as axle weights are concerned. A M817 with 15tons on it will gross about that. That's also why I qualified my post with "personally" because I wouldn't be afraid of that much weight myself but wouldn't necessarily recommend someone else do it.

As I said above though, you can't get that much material in the bed though without adding some fairly high sideboards.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Michigan its 18,000 on the front with at least 9 foot to next axel and 16,000 0n each tandem as long as there is 3.5 feet between them . Less than 3.5 it drops to 13,000 each , so 50,000 would be the max here . But you can run up to 11 axels and 160,000 legal in michigan without permits.

powersmoke18

11 drive axles would be awesome!! use all front axles and tie in some regulators and actuators make em steerable!! next project?? i already had a dream about a m920 base with a 5ton cab and front on it!!! o and a armored 5 ton!! and a military themed trike with 53's and machinegun mount!! hahahaha!! serious tho!!

Bolkbich

they handle fine with 12 tons .... no hills 15 tons... the limiting factor on these trucks is definitley the brakes i put a jake on mine...huge improvement

Attachments

162tcat

Hey guys,

Old thread but I've been working my M817 a lot recently so I'll add some info here. I had around 8.5 tons of broken concrete in the bed with equipment trailer excavator in tow. Around 55k total. Power is the limiting factor! Any hill drags you down quickly and 5th gear is useless. The jump from 3rd to 4th is a killer. I run 2-5 in low then shift to high and run in 4th. I'm on 14.00r20 rubber which doesn't help the power but I need the ground clearance where I've been working. A spicer 6+1 would be a huge help but not sure how feasible that is.

On the plus side, brakes aren't an issue at all. Plenty of stopping power. The only thing that scares me is the single circuit system but I'll be swapping that for a hydromax system this winter. Might get crazy and throw a jake on the back head for some extra help.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hey guys,

Old thread but I've been working my M817 a lot recently so I'll add some info here. I had around 8.5 tons of broken concrete in the bed with equipment trailer excavator in tow. Around 55k total. Power is the limiting factor! Any hill drags you down quickly and 5th gear is useless. The jump from 3rd to 4th is a killer. I run 2-5 in low then shift to high and run in 4th. I'm on 14.00r20 rubber which doesn't help the power but I need the ground clearance where I've been working. A spicer 6+1 would be a huge help but not sure how feasible that is.

On the plus side, brakes aren't an issue at all. Plenty of stopping power. The only thing that scares me is the single circuit system but I'll be swapping that for a hydromax system this winter. Might get crazy and throw a jake on the back head for some extra help.

You would honestly be amazed at how much more power you have with 395s versus the 1400s. Mine was night and day. Especially towing. I would get an extra 4 to 6mph on hills. I was actually 15mins faster over a 180mi stretch towing with 395s over 1400s and that included a good many hills.

162tcat

You would honestly be amazed at how much more power you have with 395s versus the 1400s. Mine was night and day. Especially towing. I would get an extra 4 to 6mph on hills. I was actually 15mins faster over a 180mi stretch towing with 395s over 1400s and that included a good many hills.
Once the 1400's are wore down the 395' s will be my next tire. Hard to toss them now as my steers are 95% and drives are 80%+
Unless a find a killer deal on 395' s...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Once the 1400's are wore down the 395' s will be my next tire. Hard to toss them now as my steers are 95% and drives are 80%+
Unless a find a killer deal on 395' s...

Most of my customers are able to sell their 1400s for the same cost as 395s or even more than what 7 new 395s cost them. Some folks want 1400s more than 395s and are willing to pay the price.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had GY AT2 14.00 and although they were 90% they were egg shaped and not stable when the road has twists and curves. And shake the truck a lot. The 14.00 were terrible compared to the 395's when loaded. I think the 14.00 has 9,700# rating while the 395 rating is 12,300#.

I had an 817 with duals which seemed much more stable with a load than the M929A2 with 14.00. I even thought about going to duals on the A2, but the 395 solved the problem.

Not going to comment on load to keep from self incriminating. I bought 43,000# farm plates.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks