• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M817 Dump Truck Height and Empty Wt?

Scout

Can anyone tell me what one of these weighs empty and the overall length and height? Trying to figure out if I can transport one on my 10-ton deckover gooseneck trailer behind an F-450.

This would be a GL auction truck - so standard tires, probably no winch.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that most trailers' rated capacity includes the weight of the trailer. If your trailer is the same, then you can haul less than 10 tons. Add to this fact that the M817 weighs more than 10 tons anyway as Kevin has stated above and I think you ought to have it hauled. I know it is tempting when you have equipment that is close to being able to haul the truck. If you insist on chancing it, let us know when you will be on the highway so we can stay off the roads.

Chuck

Oh heck yeah it would pull it, stoppin' on the other hand...

Adrianspeeder
Adrian, didn't know you were here too! Chuck, from FSB. [thumbzup]

Now, as for answering the OP's question, according to TM 55-2320-260-15-1 Transportability Guidance for the M809 series, here are the Army's official weights and dimensions for transporting the M817:

Overall length, w/w: 288.3" (24'-0")
Overall length, wo/w: 273.3" (22'-9")
Overall height, assembled: 112.1" (9'-4")
Overall height, minimum*: 91.0" (7'-7")
Width: 98.0" (8'-2")
Weight, w/w: 23,847lb
Weight, wo/w: 22,615lb

*minimum height per table 2-2 requires removing the cab top, pillar post assembly, tail pipe extension, mirrors and arms, spare tire, lower windshield, and gravel shield (the over cab shield on the bed), and stowing them in the bed.

This TM is the Army's official guidance the logisticians use to figure out how to transport these suckers, and how to fit them on ship, rail cars, etc. I'd give a lot of credence to the dimensions, and pretty good credit on the weight. Meanwhile, it looks to be well outside the capacity of a 10T gooseneck with a typical 7T payload, since it weighs in at at least 11T without the winch ...

Jeffgentle

I just bought an AM GEN M817 and road my scooter, a 2003 scremin' eagle road king from my home in Phoenix down to Chatom, Alabama to pick it up, then backed up to ditch bank and loaded it in the back and drove it to my ranch near FT Leonard wood, MO. after unloading rode back to Phoenix. It was a great trip and only cost about $500.00 in fuel. Good luck out there, JG