• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M817 front axle not engaging!!!

smittyjr355

Well I was out in the mud yesterday with my M817 and I noticed the front axle was not engaged. The problem seems to Be in the t case because the front drive shaft was not spinning. T case seemed to work ok when driving in reverse through the mud. I'm assuming there is some kind of slip clutch in the Tcase that allows the front wheel drive to not bind and catch when turning on payment? Any input or details on how the Tcase actually engages the front drive would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is probably your sprags not engaging. My first guess would be from lack of use. My 813 has the same problem every once in a while. I need to take it over to the other field and try and get it stuck to get them to engage.

You can also find info in the manuals.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or lack of proper use.

Knowing the correct operation is critical to it's life.

RTM

Construction

Replace or rebuild your poppet valves. It is on top of the transmission on the passenger side. Remove the floor pan. It is tight and a pain to replace. You can try to remove the airlines and spray in air tool oil first.

smittyjr355

Replace or rebuild your poppet valves. It is on top of the transmission on the passenger side. Remove the floor pan. It is tight and a pain to replace. You can try to remove the airlines and spray in air tool oil first.
I take it these valves supply air to the Tcase to activate front wheel drive?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The valves switch the air to the "clutch" that engages forward or reverse drive out of the T case.

If you have ever rolled backward while in forward gears, or rolled forward in reverse, you may have damaged the sprag clutch.

This is why I mentioned reading the operators manual.

Have you ever let this happen? Have you ever experianced driveline bind?

Have you ever changed out the oil in the Tcase? Did it have metal bits in it?

smittyjr355

The valves switch the air to the "clutch" that engages forward or reverse drive out of the T case.

If you have ever rolled backward while in forward gears, or rolled forward in reverse, you may have damaged the sprag clutch.

This is why I mentioned reading the operators manual.

Have you ever let this happen? Have you ever experianced driveline bind?

Have you ever changed out the oil in the Tcase? Did it have metal bits in it?
No I have not been in a forward or reverse and let the truck roll in the wrong direction. I haven't changed the oil yet so I'm not sure about metal chunks yet. I am looking at the valves right now. One valve supplies air to Tcase when I shift into reverse. The other valve supplies air all the time. I'm not sure that is right? What's the point of having a valve if it supplies air all times? Thanks for the help

BARROWCANYON

Same problem here in Alaska. I had to back my truck up Atigun Pass on the Dalton Hwy. north of the Arctic Circle and believe me it was not fun. Several other hills also. We found the valve on the tranny feeding the t-case solenoid, but, nothing we could do to engage the front in forward.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks