• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M817 front hub seal help

kcsav

Has anyone ever had to replace a front wheel seal. I noticed gearlube leaking from the inside of the front right wheel and suspect that the seal has gone bad. I have the part no from the service manual but maybe if someone has replace one they have a part no. that they can share. I would imagine that it/they can be purchased from a civilian source. Also it does not look to complicated unless I am missing something. Any advice. Thanks in advance.

groundog

:grd:if it is the inner seal you have to remove the hub---brake drum---brake shoes--pull axle---to get to inner seal---also disconnect brake line to remove backing plate---you do not have to remove shoes from backing plate---naturally remove tire---the seal comes as a assy---seal is inside a support---good luck

kcsav

Thanks Groundhog.

As the oil is visible from the inside I would assume that it would be the inner seal. It is leaking from around the boot. Is there any other place the oil could be leaking from the I should look at. I take it the boot is just to keep dirt out. Correct?

When you say the seal comes as an assembly, any idea where to get one. Part No. A1244J556. Just out of curiosity how long would this job normally take, given all parts in hand.

groundog

:grd: I GOT MY SEAL FROM ERIKS--LOOK UP ERIKSMILITARYSURPLUS.COM--FAST SERVICE---IF YOU FIND OIL IT IS LEAKING PAST THE INNER SEAL---CHECK THE BOOT FOR ANY HOLES---HE HAS THEM IN STOCK---CHECK FRONT PUMPKIN--IS IT LOW---DEAD GIVE AWAY---I HAVE A WHEEL DOLLY AND USE A JACK DESIGNED FOR ATV S AND MOTORCYCLE---MADE UP A FRAME WORK OUT OF 2 X 4 TO FIT UNDER OUTER EDGE OF DRUM---5 TON HAS TWO DIFFERENT SIZES LOCK NUTS ON AXLE----TRY TO BORROW A SOCKET--SOME GUYS BEAT THEM LOOSE WITH A CHISEL

kcsav

groundog is there any benifit in buying the seal assembly. It is over three times the cost versus what Erick wants for the seal alone. Erick does not have the asembly listed on his sight. Found on other sight. Man I would be glad to do it in 4 hrs. Right now it's 100 during the day. Going to try doing it at night. I guess nothing breaks at the best time. Once again thanks alot.

groundog

[thumbzup]IT IS LISTED AS FRONT AXLE SEAL---41.00---A 3/4 IMPACT HELPS---DID YOU CHECK FRONT PUMPKIN --IS IT LOW ON OIL?---YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO SAVE THE CASE THE SEAL FITS IN---CHECK CONDITION WHEN YOU GET IT OUT----READ THE TM ON PULLING AXLE---GO TO JATONKA WEB SITE AND DOWN LOAD IF YOU DONT HAVE ONE---IF WE WERE CLOSE I WOULD BE GLAD TO HELP YOU

kcsav

groundog,

Order 41.00 seal today from Erick. Also increased my tool inventory with 3/4 impact. but harbor freight was out of sockets. Hopefully they get some more in by the time the parts arrive. I am hauling dirt about a mile down the road and really need to get some hauled. Do you think it will hurt to use it fo a couple of days by just adding some gear lube. As long as the pumkin has gearlube in it I can't see it causing any damage. Can you.

groundog

[thumbzup]you need big axle sockets for the axle nuts---glad you got the impact wrench---the brake drums are a two man lift===so long as you check the oil you should be ok---I would love to have a M-817---I have a M813A1 and a M-820 and a 10K generator on a M-200 trailer

jasonjc

I can't think of the size but the axle nut sockets are $15-25$ each at a good truck parts store on the shelf or most any auto parts store can order them. Ther are in the 3-4" range not in a standard socket set.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
take the brake line apart where the flex jones the steel, then plug the steel or you leak brake fluid, i think the sockets are 4 7/8 and 4 3/8 , both 8 point

dumb question but I will ask anyway, DO YOU HAVE THE TMs ???????????

kcsav

I only bought this one to dig a pond. Other than that I don't think I will have any other use for it. It's to expensive to operate. Only 4.4 MPH and thats on a good day. Given the price of fuel now I simply cannot afford to drive it without a specific purpose or making money which is why I am haouling dirt down the road.

kcsav

73m819,

I have the tm and a couple of of he instructions off the forum. Looks like the only thing I need is the sockets ams some muscle to help. A little cooler weather would also be nice. Thanks for the tips. If you got some extra tiem come on down and I will treat you to some south GA hospitality. Nice looking M819 in the avatar.

kcsav

I need to purchase the sockets to remove the axle nuts. Does anyone know the exact sizes. According to what i have read they are expensive so I dont't want to screw up and buy the wrong sizes. Also is there an online source where they might be cheaper. Thanks.

jasonjc

I need to purchase the sockets to remove the axle nuts. Does anyone know the exact sizes. According to what i have read they are expensive so I dont't want to screw up and buy the wrong sizes. Also is there an online source where they might be cheaper. Thanks.

Mite try reading post 12.

kcsav

Thanks. The sizes are right but I was just checking in that 73m819 said "I think." I am a nubie with limited cash. Go figure why I have a truck like this. Kinda like owning a bluewater fishing rig. You are better off sitting in the shower letting someone beat you with a bat while you tear up hundred dollar bills. Thanks for all the help guys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks