• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M817 Rebuild program

Rebar

Why is there such a wide variation in the condition of the M817's on GL? Despite similar mileage, some look almost new (tires, paint, etc.) while others look rusted and incredibly abused. Were the good condition M817's just rebuilt? I cannot believe they were stored inside.

Appreciate your comments.

Rebar

Rebar

I guess what I am asking is how do you tell if the M809 that you are looking at was in the "Medium Tactical Truck Remanufacture (MTTR) Program" or not?

Rebar

sandcobra164

I'm speaking for Marine Corps trucks as that's what I have the most experience with. Quite a few M817's were rebuilt around 2002 /2004 while awaiting Oshkosh to field the MK 29/30 MTVR series dump trucks. On those M817's, there's an additional dataplate that reads "IROAN in accordance with SOW - which is spelled out to say Inspected, Repaired Only As Needed in accordance with Statement of Work ________. New tires and paint almost always accompany an IROAN. I'm sure the Army may have had a similar practice as it was quite a while before the FMTV series dump truck debuted.

BigWill1985

Where is that data plate located? My truck is really clean, and runs like a top. I imagine it was refurbished, but don't know how to tell when or if it actually was.

~Will Courtier~

Rebar

Sandcobra164, thanks! That is what I suspected. Is there anything written about the "IROAN" program anywhere? I am assuming it was done by AM General. I am curious what the specs were for "Only As Needed." In other words, what got replaced?

Thanks. Definitely explains what I am seeing.

Rebar

USMC4302

Great thread -- I, too, have a really clean (well, not at the moment ... ;) ) 817 that obviously had something done to it before it went to DRMO. And it has round tags with codes stamped on them hanging from various components which I suspect denotes a rework or mod of some kind.

Mine's former MD National Guard, though.

Any background on 817 rework/reman/upgrade programs would be interesting.

Thanks!

sandcobra164

Work was not performed by AM General to my knowledge. Both Services have various Depots that rebuild various items. In the event of Marine Corps trucks, there are Depots in Albany and Barstow that rebuild stuff for them. With National Guard trucks, it could have been redone at a Depot or at a RSMS or Regional Site Maintenance Support Facility. I know there's one in Camp Shelby that rebuilds M931A2's as my unit has received some from there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks