• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M817 seat issue

tobyS

I purchased an "In-Op" 817 with low miles. I figured out why such low miles (engine says 83 and odometer says 16.9K).

The seat is so far forward that a normal person is against the steering wheel...with it in the back position. So my theory is, it was so uncomfortable to drive that it was seldom driven.

Got it going (drives out nicely) and had to change the seating position...really no choice.

I removed the seat, base and all, then separated the seat frame from the base. I noticed there was no alternative for the seat slide, to move it back a couple of inches and eventually came to the conclusion that I would have to do away with the slides. So I put the base back in without the slides attached and positioned the seat so it had about 3/4" clearance to the cab frame. Then I made a wood part to go where the slides were, using nice poplar. I drilled and mounted the parts to the base, then drilled and mounted the seat to the wood. Painted black, one will not notice the change out, but it left me wondering why there was no possible way to mount the seat with more driver room and keep the seat slide.

Has anyone had a similar seat issue with either the M817 or newer dumps?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The slides could have been installed BACKWARDS, it can be done, just do not ask me how I know

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I had the M109 I replaced the stock seats with a set of bucket seats out of a Dodge Neon. I had to fab the mounts to get the height right but I kept the slides so they could be pulled forward for shorter drivers. It made for a lot better ride than the stock box seat and was better than the springer I had in my other deuce.

tobyS

I tried that 73m819. The slides are swaged together after being assembled and one can't get a bolt inside, which appeared to be necessary in the reversed position. And the slides will not come apart (without ruining them I fear).

My slides have a front bolt hole that is bent up, apparently from uncomfortable people pushing the seat back, to the point of bending the front slide bolt hole area up. Looks like a long term issue.

Is it possibly a problem only on the dumps?... since the arm that controls bed lift is immediately behind the base mounted to the floor, thus requiring the seat pedestal to be a few inches forward? I don't know how later dumps up-down mechanism works to know if they also would move the seat base forward on later models.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That control arm is also used on wreckers and there does not seem to be any seat issues.