• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M817 Super Single Tire/Wheel Question

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking at a M817 Dump that already has Michelin xl's super singles with the split ring wheels. Should I be leery of this tire/wheel combo for a 700 mile trip? The truck has an original tire/wheel for the spare.

GHall

It depends on the age, pressure and condition of the tires. Are they cracked and dry rot? You really don't want a front tire that big going out. The speed rating on those tires it 56 MPH. A full size spare or two is recommended. Outside temp factors as well.

Last edited:

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like the tires are in pretty good condition. Ive just heard some negative stuff on the XL's and split rings. I was also a little concerned about there not being a spare to match the super singles. Would it be better to get it with the stock wheels and tires and find some combat wheels for the super singles setup when I get home? Am I over reacting on the split ring wheels?

GHall

Not sure what you mean by split ring? Is that like the deuce wheels? Not sure the wheels make much difference on the tire but I have heard those deuce wheels are pretty dangerous when mounting and dismounting tires. When making a trip that long be sure to have matching spares no matter what tire and wheel combo you are running. There are also many threads on here about preparing for a long "recovery" that are very useful.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a bouncy ride. I drove a bunch of 20,000 LB loads at 45MPH and it was plenty fast (with a little play in the steering wheel on the big tires.....mine are 16R20xzl's......it made me slow down and concentrate a little harder).

A spare at this size will need to be carried in the dump (to wide for the rack)......carry the same size, a non similar tire is a boat anchor.

papacracker

I have been running those same tires on my M817 for 5 years now. Finally got my first flat this year, **** nail. When you say split ring wheel, are you talking about the two piece wheel that these tires are designed to be run on? They have a ring of bolts that hold the two halves together and a rubber seal between the two halves. I wanted to make sure that you are not trying to put 16.00's on your stock split rim. You need to make sure that you are using a HETT style wheel. I use the crap out of my truck, I run around at 48,000 about half the time. I move my 26,000 pound Excavator behind it just about every week. I run my tire pressure at 60 psi. With my stock fuel pump turned up to 2400 rpm the truck does 75 MPH, comfortably, no white knuckle ****. It handles better on the road too. When my speedo reads 47 mph, the truck is doing 60.
If the tires all hold air, are mounted on the correct wheel, have some threads showing on the outside of front lug nuts and don't look all weather checked, I would drive it home. Just have an air hose and a plan B just in case. If you are one of those guys who don't like to take any chances, put together a full size spare and tools to change it before you go get it.
Papacracker

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think he is talking about the split rims that come on the trucks when running duals. I don't have an answer about if its ok to run them that way on a five ton. I did use my stock wheels which are split rims when I put super singles on my deuce and they work just fine. I have had stories about this being a bad idea and people getting hurt; but I don't know anyone who has used stock wheels on the five ton with super singles, since there is such a wide variety of different cheap wheel options for them.

Triple C

I found out first hand how important a good spare is! I blew my front left tire bringing my 925 home from Ft. Riley. I would HIGHLY suggest you get the proper mounted tire, lug wrench, bottle jack, etc. Otherwise if something happens you are going to have a hard time finding one on short notice. I don't know where you are going but if you are anywhere near Salina Ks, Glen is the guy to get your mounted tire from IMHO. Good luck.