• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M817 Transfer Case not shifting

SteelHound

I picked up my dump truck from Barstow last week. My trucker got it in his head that he was going to try and jump start it as it rolled down the Landoll trailer backwards. The truck was in low, reverse. When he popped the clutch, the truck just slid 3 or 4 feet (as you might of guessed). There was a clang in the drive train. But it just sounded like all the slop was taken out. It didn't sound like anything breaking. But I wasn't expecting to listen for any of that either.
I got the truck running and was in a hurry to get it off my neighbors property and onto mine which is a 2 mile trip (cranky neighbor). I had to turn the truck around which means forward and reverse and forward. She wouldn't do the reverse part, and I didn't try so hard to get it into reverse either as I am in a hurry and who knows when the engine will die. There was an off-road path that allowed me to go forward, so forward I went.
Its a rough road, so I was in 2nd for a 1/2 mile. I thought there was some trannie noise and I smelled oil. And the oil smell started getting hottish. So I did a quick stop and checked all the break drums and radiator and engine block. Everything was cool. Onward to 3rd gear and it sounded loud and grating. The smell persisted, so I stopped and checked again. Everything was cool. After about a mile and 1/2, I decided to try the high range. It wouldn't go into high. And then it wouldn't go into low again. I sat there and tried for a 1/2 hour. So I'm stuck in some rather thorny weeds. After a mile and a half walk back to my pickup, I drive to the m817 and lay down some cardboard underneath so I can take a look. I find an older (months-years) rusty crack about 1/32" wide and 10" long on the bottom side of the transfer case. I reach up to touch it and find the case hot. About 110F. Looking aound some more is see the paint discolored around the forward bearing. Its even hotter there.
So my questions if you would be so kind to entertain them are:
Do you think the transfer case is toast?
Do you think the truck driver did it?
Should I just replace the transfer case first?
Thanks for your time!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replace your transfer case.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I picked up my dump truck from Barstow last week. My trucker got it in his head that he was going to try and jump start it as it rolled down the Landoll trailer backwards. The truck was in low, reverse. When he popped the clutch, the truck just slid 3 or 4 feet (as you might of guessed). There was a clang in the drive train. But it just sounded like all the slop was taken out. It didn't sound like anything breaking. But I wasn't expecting to listen for any of that either.
I got the truck running and was in a hurry to get it off my neighbors property and onto mine which is a 2 mile trip (cranky neighbor). I had to turn the truck around which means forward and reverse and forward. She wouldn't do the reverse part, and I didn't try so hard to get it into reverse either as I am in a hurry and who knows when the engine will die. There was an off-road path that allowed me to go forward, so forward I went.
Its a rough road, so I was in 2nd for a 1/2 mile. I thought there was some trannie noise and I smelled oil. And the oil smell started getting hottish. So I did a quick stop and checked all the break drums and radiator and engine block. Everything was cool. Onward to 3rd gear and it sounded loud and grating. The smell persisted, so I stopped and checked again. Everything was cool. After about a mile and 1/2, I decided to try the high range. It wouldn't go into high. And then it wouldn't go into low again. I sat there and tried for a 1/2 hour. So I'm stuck in some rather thorny weeds. After a mile and a half walk back to my pickup, I drive to the m817 and lay down some cardboard underneath so I can take a look. I find an older (months-years) rusty crack about 1/32" wide and 10" long on the bottom side of the transfer case. I reach up to touch it and find the case hot. About 110F. Looking aound some more is see the paint discolored around the forward bearing. Its even hotter there.
So my questions if you would be so kind to entertain them are:
Do you think the transfer case is toast?
Do you think the truck driver did it?
Should I just replace the transfer case first?
Thanks for your time!!
Swiss, does this sound familiar, guess we are lucky only the 62s trans took the hit

I would check the reverse idler if the above action was taken, we are rebuilding a trans because of almost the same action, though in our case, the truck was rolling, FORCED into reverse with the clutch being dumped at the same time = reverse idler shaft snout bent, twisted bearings, a lot of wear in the reverse idler unit, BAD viberation.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to start troubleshooting. What was the smell? We never got an answer to that question or statement. You obviously have problems so it needs to come out and start the tear down to see what is the real problem. We were 3/4 the way into my transmission and could not see the problem until the last 10% of the tear down and removing the reverse idler shaft and bearings. Then the story became real clear.

A cracked case is not good in the long term. If you have to go into the case then you should look at a new case, gears, bearings etc. Might be best to find a used one complete but you will not know the best route until you get the transfer case on the ground and apart.

Question Answers
1.) Do you think the transfer case is toast? DH Speaks, one must listen YES:doghead:
2.) Do you think the truck driver did it? How can you prove?
3.) Should I just replace the transfer case first? You may have more issues than the just your transfer case

So Much Fun!

Last edited:

supermechanic

Ditto Doghead's advise. I spent a lot of time playing with a bad T-case, and ended with changing it.
T-case probably toast long ago, crack= no oil, no oil = bad bearings.
Transmission may have reverse gear problem, hard to tell with bad T-case.
I like 5 ton dumps, when you get yours together, I'm sure you'll like yours as well.

KsM715

If the crack was there prior to the truck driver ever getting into the truck I doubt you can blame it on him. But, How did he get the truck on the trailer in the first place? If he drove it on in first gear and shut it off the sprag might still be in forward, when he let it roll back and then popped the clutch it may have exploded the sprag.

I could be wrong.

SteelHound

Thanks for all your thoughts everyone. I purchased a x-case from 100dollarman. Its from an M813 which I understand from other posts is the same thing. I didn't want to think about what happened to my reverse gear, so thanks for mentioning that as well. It is probably toast and I need to plan for fixing it.
I was talking to the GL guy in the Yermo yard when picking up the truck. He said the engines, trannies, and drivelines were bullet proof. I guess they aren't idiot proof.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If we put the idiots in front of the bullet proof drivetrain and tested the bullet proof concept I think all problems would be solved. :twisted:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks