• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 5 ton modification

scootertrs

We have a very low hour/mile M818 Tractor w a winch that is cherry. If I were to put a pickup bed on it, it would probably one of the best go anywhere 6x6 . Has anybody attempted such a venture with an M818? Would have to reinvent the wheel, only to see one pass me by at the next MV rally. If I did it with drop sides on the bed, I could still keep the 5th wheel and use it when necessary.

Thanks

Lorax

When you say a "pickup" bed, are you talking about a normal 3/4 ton truck type bed, or a M35 or M813 cargo bed? A number of people here on SS have put cargo beds on 818s. I stretched my 818's frame and put an 813 dropside on it last year.

You won't be able to mount the 5th wheel in the dropside bed and still use the 5th wheel. The 5th wheel will be too high to hook to a trailer without dragging the back end of the trailer on the ground, or hitting the back of the cargo bed with the underside of the trailer tongue due to the high angle.

818s are prime candidates for different modifications tho. Simply removing the 5th wheel gives you an open frame to play with.

Post pics of yer truck!

scootertrs

Thanks and will do
When you say a "pickup" bed, are you talking about a normal 3/4 ton truck type bed, or a M35 or M813 cargo bed? A number of people here on SS have put cargo beds on 818s. I stretched my 818's frame and put an 813 dropside on it last year.

You won't be able to mount the 5th wheel in the dropside bed and still use the 5th wheel. The 5th wheel will be too high to hook to a trailer without dragging the back end of the trailer on the ground, or hitting the back of the cargo bed with the underside of the trailer tongue due to the high angle.

818s are prime candidates for different modifications tho. Simply removing the 5th wheel gives you an open frame to play with.

Post pics of yer truck!