• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 '71 5th wheel tractor rig

818 Test Pilot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:grin: drove this type 5 ton during OIF1 with a 5k jp8 trailer and yes most of our company logged in over 20,000 over the desert ect. miles. cool bragging rights but i was out driving my nice condition M818 today in deep new england snow and my guess only the two rear axles were doing their thing. is there any chance the front axle wasn't engaged? don't know what goes on inside the transfer case. nobody was around to view the front tires so thats why I'm asking. Thanx, 88M/67X

big block 88

I would probably say this needs to be in the 5 ton section.

That said you should be able to know if the front axle was digging or not. On our 925 i can see the front tires if turned to right or left lock and goose it in the slick stuff and see if the front tire slips.

Was the light on above the dash switch? Did you hear any air dump ehen you took the front axle out?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please try to post in the correct forum.

moved

sandcobra164

The M818 has a air selected sprag type transfer case. There is no dash switch like on big block 88's M925. Moving forward, the transfer case on the M818 has a forward and reverse selection controlled by an air valve on the transmission. When stopped, you should hear a psst of air when shifting from reverse to neutral or any forward gear. If you're not hearing that, your first step is to build air and shut your truck off. If working properly, you should hear the psst of air along with a clunk sound from your transfer case. If not, your second step is to remove the transmission tunnel sheet metal and ensure you have supplied air leading to the top of the transmission. Start there but if your problems are not resolved, you may need to disassemble and clean the actuator on the front of the transfer case. Start with those and post back your results. I once had a truck that had a bolt installed in place of the breather on the top of the manifold on the transmission that would not power the front axle. It didn't pass the first or second test I outlined and I went overzealous and went to step 3. Still didn't work but once I removed the bolt and installed a breather, back in business. Not sure why that bolt was there in this case as it was never privately owned until I picked it up. It did come from a transportation unit so who knows, maybe they didn't want the front axle to be sent power or maybe they wanted to lock the sprag in neutral? Bad things happen when rolling backwards in neutral or a forward gear and vice versa.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks