• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 added to the fleet.

TDF

Hello all. New to the site, but not to MV's. Though I don't currently own an MV (have had a few in the past, M38, M38a1, and an M37), I do have the lucky distinction of being the closest (in distance) son to my Dad and I have a farm where he can store some of his toys. So I have a 50's era 5 ton Bridge Truck (drove it from Ft. Riley to Lincoln NE at all of 2.3 MPG) a 50's era M35 deuce and a half, a WWII M2 Halftrack, an M38 and an M37 (all runners) stored in my driveway and in my sheds. Dad's also got a pair of WWII Chevy 1.5 ton's and a 3/4 ton trailer squirreled away on my brothers farm. He might have a problem, but we're definitely enablers.

And just last week we hauled in a new toy. An M818 tractor. Dad bought it from the Nebraska Forest Service at an auction and we had a week to get it off the grounds. It had alledgedly been running recently, but we didn't even tinker with it. Just backed the trailer up to it, winched it on and headed for home. It has the hard top and the gunners turret, but was missing half of the rear tires, and three of the other rears are bald . We struck a deal for the a few tires/wheels with other guys at the sale who'd also bought trucks, and Dad's got a couple more wheels, and a bunch of tires laying around, so we now have enough to get all the rubber on the ground so to speak.

Dad had to give $800 for it at the sale. Should have bought a few more that day as they were going cheap.

We'll try firing it up here in the next week or so. Should be a fun project. Now for the great fun of breaking down and changing over a bunch of 11.00-20's. My arms are already weeping.

More questions to come I'm sure as we dig into this beast.

TDF

03.jpg04.jpg07.jpg08.jpg

tobyS

I like the model. They look great singled out too.

Yep, should have bought more (the green disease strikes again)(it obviously is genetic).

Welcome to the site!

Lukes_deuce

Nice looking truck! For that price I think all of us would of picked one up! Welcome to the club.

On a side note, how does the 7.3 ford handle the trailer and M818? Seems like a heavy load.

TDF

On a side note, how does the 7.3 ford handle the trailer and M818? Seems like a heavy load.
As long as you’re not in a hurry the 7.3’s will pull anything you’re willing to hook behind them. It’s 50 miles of two lane blacktop from the sale site back to my place, and pretty hilly for the second half of that, (and hilly by Nebraska standards is pretty flat by everybody else’s standards) but we were able to maintain 55 mph most all of the time. Manual transmission in that pickup and Dad stayed out of OD.

TDF

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks