• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 Broke down, Minot ND

I flew in last night into Minot, ND, hopped in my truck (5-Ton) and started to get my groceries for the month before heading to work (drilling rig). I was making a turn and went to shift down and the clutch all of a sudden went to the floor with no resistance (but does spring back like normal). Prior to this while running errands I had NO problems with the clutch. I had to hit the kill switch to stop the truck, then I was able to get reverse then used the starter to get her out of the road and into a parking lot. I reached under and I can move the cluth pedal easily, spring is attached. I ended up transferring my gear into my POV and leave my love and headed to the rig. Of course I'm going to read through the TMs and look the forums. My problem is she is now 2 hrs from me, and I'll have to race back and forth when my 2nd hand shows up. I want to get a game plan ahead of time before heading back. What I'm asking is there a general "top 5 things to look for list" for others that have experienced this. If you're in the area, she's parked in front of Aeroport Hobby Shoppe (next to the airport). Mrs Eva, Hobby store owner has the keys. If anyone has some spare time and is willing to take a look, I'll compensate for the help. I'm in a strange situation where the only people I know are on this drilling rig and I'm now 1.5-2.0 hrs away. I'm not in a bind, since I have my POV, but I really would rather be playing with my 5 ton.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Basically the arm/fork rides on the throw out bearing which pushes on the fingers of the pressure plate.
Check the arm, is it connected to its pivot point? That is the only 'quiet' failure I can think of. (but I'm no expert)

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check underneath and see if the linkage is all there between the pedal and clutch fork. If it's all there, pull the inspection cover on the bell housing and have a look.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I had my m819s pressure plate CRACK, no sound, just all of a sudden a live clutch, no way to DISENGAGE, started in gear, shifted without clutch, we got the truck home( thanks BFR)

rrrr

Check underneath and see if the linkage is all there between the pedal and clutch fork. If it's all there, pull the inspection cover on the bell housing and have a look.

This is what I would do also. Have a bright flashlight handy.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a similar failure.....

Chck out this thread where I detail a similar failure I experienced on our Deuce.....

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/55122-mayday-clutch-pedal-flopping-no-disengage-2.html

NOTE the pics in post #20, AND the Failure Analysis and Findings in post #31.

Forunately, my failure was EXTERAL of the Bell Housing and was a "simple" fix.

Good luck with yours!

John

PS: I'm still looking for an OEM replacement rod. My battlefield repair is still working just fine, but allows for NO clutch adjustment. If anyone's got one of those rods (preferrably WITH the two yokes) I would appreciate a shout. :)

Last edited:

NDDeuce

Ready to assist

I've got a couple of days off starting friday, I'll see if I can rally up some assistance, got a friend whos a heavy truck mechanic. My AO is only 7mi east and I'll be out and about Minot through out the weekend, PM me for further information.

-NDDeuce

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
WOW, thanks for all the help, this is great. I feel so much better having a better starting point. Once we start drilling, I'll be able to start to read through everyone's help and advice. THANKS AGAIN, feels good to have so much support. - Ray

Thats what we do here.

YEAAAAA, I'm and running... I finally got to leave the rig and head to town. Brought a buddy along to help me take a look. We discovered the turnbuckle on the adjusting arm had been replaced with a piece of all thread. My clutch wasn't making contact. We pulled one of the yokes off, turned the yoke a few times, re-installed and tested. ALL GOOD! I love simple, cheap fixes. GUYS, THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP AND ADVISE :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks