• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 disengage front drive like 939 series.

ke5eua

Ok I searched but came up with changing the axle flanges, so not really what I was looking for.

When I place the truck in reverse I hear the tell tell air release like in the 939 series when you disengage the front axle.

Didn't see that in the schematic so I was wondering if it is possible to add the axle lock air switch to the 809 series so I drive without the front locked in all time.

I know the trucks were designed to drive like that all the time but I'm thinking long term road use vs off road use.

I'm probably over thinking this, but I want to get the most out of this beast for on road travel.

ke5eua

Ok, after looking at the -34 I see a reference to the FRONT AXLE ENGAGEMENT AIR CYLINDER. It tells you to test the operation by referencing the -10. The -10 has nothing about it.

It's moments like this that I miss tm's that have a theory of operation section.

So, let me take a stab at this. Air pressure builds up and engages the axle engagement air cylinder. Place vehicle in reverse and it disconnects air to air cylinder and bleeds residual air to allow it to disengage?

I will test my theory by cracking the line and allow the truck to build pressure then have my wife place the truck in reverse and if the pressure is released I know I'm on the right track and it can be accomplished just like the 939 series.

Anyone have any ideas, input, think I'm crazy, nuts, shouldn't worry about it?

jwaller

There is a mwo to put an air switch on the 809 trucks so that you only have air on the valve when you want it. Ron has it on his truck. It's super simple and well worth the 2hr install

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that air you hear is the sprag changing from forward to reverse. the front end doesnt pull but will spin as the front wheels turns

ke5eua

that air you hear is the sprag changing from forward to reverse. the front end doesnt pull but will spin as the front wheels turns
So much to learn.

At least it's not a M981 FSTV. I hated those vehicles, everything in the turret was hydraulic, and I mean everything. Schematics on that thing were a night mare.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok I searched but came up with changing the axle flanges, so not really what I was looking for.

When I place the truck in reverse I hear the tell tell air release like in the 939 series when you disengage the front axle.

Didn't see that in the schematic so I was wondering if it is possible to add the axle lock air switch to the 809 series so I drive without the front locked in all time.

I know the trucks were designed to drive like that all the time but I'm thinking long term road use vs off road use.

I'm probably over thinking this, but I want to get the most out of this beast for on road travel.
The Sprag front drive only engages if the rear wheels are spinning at different speeds than the front. It's not full-time all wheel drive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks