• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 Driver seat modification?

4x4e350

OK, I did a search, and can't find anything on modifying the spring seat to get more leg room.
I already adjusted the pedals to the lowest point, and will probably be modifying them to add more notches, to get them lower.
I have read in various threads, about modifying these seats to move them back, and gain about 4" of leg room, but can't find anything detailed.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to gain more leg room by getting the seat moved back?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need to open up that rear cushion and filet the cushion in half. Just no need for the cushion to be that thick. You will get more that you expect from that one.

M813A1

Make sure you have the smaller 18 inch M809 Steering wheel, if you have the older Duece and M39 5 Ton steering wheel they have a larger diameter and it can fit on the M809 steering column

crasheej

I have a new 5 ton steering wheel I don't need. My 816 came with a deuce steering wheel. Changed it out what a difference.. Also a like a new deuce steering wheel any one need one?

4x4e350

Thanks for the comments.
I just wanted to add, I lowered the brake and clutch pedal 3", by making another slot in the shafts, what an improvement. I can actually close the door, and get my foot on the clutch pedal now, much more comfortable. Next will be removing some of the padding on the back cushion.

4x4e350

Does moving the pedal notches make a difference on pedal travel available-ie do you run out of clutch pedal stroke?
I adjusted the clutch so there was no slop, it is a simple linkage adjustment, but if there was a lot of slop, it would probably run out of travel.
The brake also has a linkage, but I didn't need to adjust it, there is still plenty of travel in the brake pedal.
I will try to get pics tonight.

4x4e350

Pics

Here are two pics. The first is of the pedals after they have been lowered 3", still plenty of travel.
The second is how the pedals are lowered from under the cab, you can barely see the 3 notches on the bottom that are original in this pic. I just measured 3" up from the middle notch, and used a grinder to make the same notch, it doesn't have to be perfect, I was just careful to remove as little of material and still allow the bolt to fit through.

Attachments

4x4e350

Brad, if you were not so tall it would be no problem. If you want I will chuffeur you arround.
Joe,
Sometimes I wish I could cut my legs off at the knees, but I would look funny hobbling around! But cool in the M818!:-D
If you chueffeur me around in that beautiful M818 you got, that would be great!:driver:
I'm going to Eaton Rapids this weekend to pick up a extra cab, I think I'm going to turn mine into a crew cab, so I can fit more comfortably.:cookoo:

Preacherboy

4x4 sure doesn't need extra room in the cab because he is overweight, it is definately a height issue. He is at least 6 inches taller than me. I meant to ask you Saturday, do you play basketball?:-D

4x4e350

4x4 sure doesn't need extra room in the cab because he is overweight, it is definately a height issue. He is at least 6 inches taller than me. I meant to ask you Saturday, do you play basketball?:-D
No, never played B-Ball, or any sport for that matter, I was one of those tall uncoordinated skinny guys. I did learn how to chew gum and walk pretty well though.:)

Jared

I have a new 5 ton steering wheel I don't need. My 816 came with a deuce steering wheel. Changed it out what a difference.. Also a like a new deuce steering wheel any one need one?

I'd be interested in the 5 ton wheel.
Jared

dmetalmiki

My legroom mod

I made more room in my M62 by shaving a long slot in the cab brace behind the seat. fitted a non sprung seat. and the best I found was to take out the steering colum bolts. Re-drill 3 more holes as HIGH up the dash I could lift the colum and re-fit the bolts and colum at that raised hieght. NO more probs shifting braking steering now. (and I havent yet lowered the pedals) guess if I did that I'd be able to.."walk around the cab lol"

O.D. Fever

Did you clear enough room in that pole barn to fit 2 818"s? I could use a crew cab too. I have been thinking of asking the neighbor with the car lot to rent me his truck bay that he is not using. For winter work on the mv's...

4x4e350

I made more room in my M62 by shaving a long slot in the cab brace behind the seat. fitted a non sprung seat. and the best I found was to take out the steering colum bolts. Re-drill 3 more holes as HIGH up the dash I could lift the colum and re-fit the bolts and colum at that raised hieght. NO more probs shifting braking steering now. (and I havent yet lowered the pedals) guess if I did that I'd be able to.."walk around the cab lol"
God idea, I will have to try the steering column trick.

4x4e350

Did you clear enough room in that pole barn to fit 2 818"s? I could use a crew cab too. I have been thinking of asking the neighbor with the car lot to rent me his truck bay that he is not using. For winter work on the mv's...
I'm in the process of moving my International outside for the winter, and hopefully the M818 will fit, but that will be tight. I will have to start selling stuff, to fit anymore, which I probably should do.:)
You need to build a pole barn right behind your store, and start a MV modifying/restoring business.:p

Rgdl

Great thread.:beer:

I'm short at only 5'7" so the seat adjustment works just fine for me. But I hate how the brake pedal is so far up off the floor compared to the accelerator pedal. Lowering it would make reaction time quicker when in a panic braking situation.

Thanks for showing us how to adjust it.[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks