• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 Drivers Question?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the new style fifth wheel on my 818 and I am having a hard time getting it to release the kingpin. I have read the -10 but still no help. My plunger handle has a triangular handle on it and there is a second lever with a small circular handle on it. I am on my own trying to drop the trailer any hints other than get some one to help? The tractor is at a nearly 90 angle to the trailer to help complicate things!

Attachments

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can feel them move? How do you grease it up with the trailer is on it? Would Kroil oil work or does it have to be something heavy like grease? I have even thought of setting up my farm jack on the platform and lifting the trailer up some so I can use the jacks to reduce weight on the fifth wheel, right now the jacks won't raise the trailer any higher.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Get a grease gun with the extended tube on it and start emptying the tubes one after the other. Just put that thing in every nook and crack you can find and pump it... then when you get the trailer off get a handful of it and grease the plate and any internals you can see just globs. Never enough grease.

Andy1234

I can feel them move? How do you grease it up with the trailer is on it? Would Kroil oil work or does it have to be something heavy like grease? I have even thought of setting up my farm jack on the platform and lifting the trailer up some so I can use the jacks to reduce weight on the fifth wheel, right now the jacks won't raise the trailer any higher.
Kroil will help, if nothing else it may soften some of the hardened grease that in the hitch already.

As for the landing gear, you may want to retract it enough that you can put some boards underneath the pads and then try lifting the trailer (I usually stack a few 2x12's, but if you're using more then 2 then I would suggest screwing them together).As for using a jack, I'm pretty hesitant to lift any trailer from one point, I much prefer a two point lift. That whole "keeping the wheels on the ground" thing.

Also, is it possible to pull the truck & trailer out to a level pad, unhook it, grease the snot out of it, and then back it in place?

Andy

sierra117

Sometimes the trailer kingpin will be bound on the jaws of the fifth wheel you should try using the trolly valve to hold the trailer brakes and back the truck up a little that might work. And you should grease the surface of the fifth wheel when not under a trailer I am just concerned that you trailer might fuse to the fifth wheel and then you would not be able to turn. :driver:

Hooty481

there is zerk grease fitting under the 5th wheel for the jaws. You cant really haveto much grease on it. also it does help to jack the trailer up a little bit. The trolly brake thing helps out to. just depending on if you are on any kind of grade or not back up or pull up and it wont be much but just enough to unbind the king pin.

Autocar

The small loop lever is a safety catch. You have to pull and hold that one out while you pull the main release lever to unhook the jaws.

DAS

Ok...here goes....if there is pressure on the jaws it is hard too get release,push against trailor, set brakes if your buy yourself putting the kingpin against the front of the wheel,pull safety and release.....you DO NOT DROP A TRAILOR ANYWAY BUT INLINE..... if you do you are asking for problems....picking up a trailor from the side can bring problems too....too much grease in cold weather can make you drop a trailor on the road because the hard thick grease will not let the jaws work right , grease when dry.......

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys, I am going to give it another try tomoorrow, New GSA guy is being a ..... little uncooperative going to sic the inpound guy on me after one day of parking on a side road!

M813A1

Rumplecat if your trailer will set uneven to will need to shore up one side or ther other so the trailer will set flat !! Just make sure as you come out from underneith go slow because moving out to the side does cause the trailer to slide a bit to the opposite direction from the tractor !! Good Luck !!

Hammer

Get a BIG heavy chain, hook to the handle, then give it a good yank! If you have a heavy chain, and when the slack from the chain comes out, you can really get one that is 'stuck' to come loose.
I often have to do this on wrecked trucks. Not really a good way to pull them out of their' bind' when in bad places.

M813A1

Glad to hear that your trailer unloaded OK !! Are those photos of your 5th wheel in your first post ?? If it is I would recommend to put 2 tubes of grease on the face of the wheel , but also put a little extra on the lower side of the face neaar the 2 legs and then slowly back under your trailer that way it will help spread your grease on the 5th wheel face evenly and not scrap it all off. also put a good plop of grease of the locking jaws too to spread the grease on the jaws. and also grease all of the fitting around the 5th wheel and that should solve your issue of things being stiff. you might want to raise your trailer just a bit above your 5th afterwards to be able to park the truck under the trailer to keep your grease cleanand not let it get washed off by the rain when not using the tractor. Good Luck

Bolkbich

Alot of 5th wheels get stuck here and there . I put a ratchet strap on the release handle put a good amount of tension on it and rock the tractor a little bit. 99.9% of the time they pop instantly. Been doing it for 30 years never let me down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks